Thread: SAUCE (South Austin Ukulele Community and Events) in Austin TX

Default SAUCE (South Austin Ukulele Community and Events) in Austin TX

This is a fairly new community forum for ukulele players who live in Austin Texas in the southern part of town. Most ukulele events, lessons, workshops, etc are north. Traffic has become so heavy that it's hard for us who live south to make it to those events.

So we started this community of players in south Austin. We have held beginners groups and are putting together jams as well. We will have a number of small groups who can meet with other players based on similar interests and skills. We also serve as a bulletin board for ukulele events in south Austin, and some in the north part of town as well. We will begin highlighting the stores that sell ukes, what they offer in products and services, as well as music schools and ukulele instructors.

After promoting a beginner group on Nextdoor for a few months, we formed the group on Facebook about three week ago. So far we have 27 FB group members will several joining each week. There are more who eschew Facebook... There is a great deal of enthusiasm. I believe this will continue growing rapidly. In time we hope to hold a large monthly meeting. I think it would be great if we could team up with those up north and hold a real live Ukulele Festival just like the big boy cities do!! Then after that, we will join with ukulele players from other cities to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! (Laughs maniacally)

(But I am getting WAY ahead of myself, I admit.)
    Know yourself. Play uke.
    Several 4S = For Sale
    Sop: mango Kamaka white label (vintage mangos, rare), Famous FS-7 (sounds great),
    20's-30's Regal (4S), 50's Harmony (4S)
    Conc: Myrtle Mya Moe (4S), Longneck Bruko (4S),
    KCM Koaloha, Fred Shields Backpacker (good for travel), Enya Nova U cutaway "carbon fiber" electric (18" scale length, & fun!)
    Ten: Romero Creations Tiny Tenor T-TK (4S), Opio KCO-02 (4S),
    Koaloha KTM-00, Pono ATSH-PC (current faves), Risa Solid, Pono MT-PC,
    Club loaners: Many

The name of our Facebook group is SAUCE (South Austin Ukulele Group and Events). This group is mainly to support new players and intermediate players in their learning process, to directly host ukulele events in south Austin, and to provide a sort of ukulele community bulletin board for others to promote their ukulele events and to get to know one another. You don't have to live in south Austin to join, but members should be interested in enhancing our community in some way, or in discussing how to grow a ukulele group or club, since we are having growing pains.
    Know yourself. Play uke.
    Several 4S = For Sale
    Sop: mango Kamaka white label (vintage mangos, rare), Famous FS-7 (sounds great),
    KCM Koaloha, Fred Shields Backpacker (good for travel), Enya Nova U cutaway "carbon fiber" electric (18" scale length, & fun!)

We are still going. We have been holding one or two monthly meetings each month with occasional special programs.

The Facebook group is closing in on 200 members. I also created an Austin MEETUP group with the same SAUCE (South Austin Ukulele Community & Events) name. I place meeting details in the CRAIGSLIST Community section, and also use NEXTDOOR. I occasionally have a drawing in the meeting and give away a starter uke. Some new, some used, I just look for super good deals. If needed I smooth fret ends, lower the action, replace strings or tuners, sometimes do a fret level... Boy am I glad I bought those 50 yard spools of SEAGUAR BLUE fishing line! They sound good on everything to me, pretty much like Martin Clears. When I offer a prize for a meeting I can list it in the for sale and free section of Nextdoor. Unfortunately, if I post in craigslist that I am giving away a ukulele, people flag it and it gets taken down.

Meeting rooms are one of the hardest parts of this for me. I use local Library Branch meeting rooms. Thank goodness for those, but there is a lot of demand for them so I am limited in how often I can use a room. I am hoping to become sponsored by either the Library or a local Activity Center which are part of our Parks system. I think I'd like to meet twice a month, if I could find a nice meeting room that was available twice a month, ideally say first and third Wednesday or Thursday, maybe Tuesday.

It has been kind of slow going. I have had to try a lot of different things to finally land on a popular format and content. I didn't promote the group much until I felt like it was finally coming together within the last few months, and I started holding small groups right at two years ago. Though I invite feedback, there have only been a couple of people who have ever given me any, so it is guesswork. I watch to see how much people are smiling. I ask if people want help with skills, rather than just giving advice. I pay close attention to how many return visitors I have. I don't give myself excuses, if people have fun, they are likely to return. No matter what I think about the meeting, if they don't enjoy it or it is not what they wanted, they probably won't return. I am in a wheelchair and I do this alone, no help at all. So set up and take down is another challenge. I can do it all by myself, except for the chairs, but it would be faster with help.

If you are in Austin, TX, especially south of the river, we invite you to join one of our meetings. I think you will be glad you did.

D
    Know yourself. Play uke.
    Several 4S = For Sale

Hi Dionysis,
    I'm poking around the net looking for "strum-a-longs" I might join up with on my random travels south this winter. From Madison, Wisconsin. Have a line on what I think of as the "big" Austin group. Anyway, reading your note here about places to meet ... I joins groups weekly in senior centers (daytime) and churches (evenings and Saturday). And monthly there are larger strums in coffee shops -- 50 - 100 strummers. One is a Thursday evening and one is Saturday afternoon. People plan to get there early and eat so it makes it very worthwhile to the shops. And they both offer wine and beer so there is that. Just some thoughts. I will follow your Meetup and see if timing works out to play with you. What do you use for music?

Thread Information