SAUCE (South Austin Ukulele Community and Events) in Austin TX

Dionysis

Reaction score
We hold three monthly Wednesday night meetings (6-7:40 pm), each at a different skill level. For more detail see southaustinukes.org
  • Level One South Austin Strum Along. Learn To Play Ukulele, no experience needed, loaner ukes provided. In 40 minutes we cover how to hold and strum the ukulele, and to play four chord songs. We also link to youtube videos covering the same skills on our website, FB & Meetup groups. Recommended ages adult to adolescent. See our website if you want to bring someone younger.
  • Level Two South Austin Strum Along. Build more skills for those who can smoothly play chords C, Am, F, & G7. We play songs which are all in the same key of the day to learn by using/ practice chords by families including all the diatonic chords in a given key. We may briefly discuss different ways to form a chord, especially with regard to the preceding and following chords. We rotate the most common keys (C, F, G, D…) and cover other knowledge and skills such as strumming techniques and patterns, scales and chord theory, how to read tablature, how to have fun and fake it when you are in over your head. We also take suggested topics.
  • Level Three South Austin Strum Along. This is for established, fairly independent players. We play many songs in many keys with very little discussion. Songs may use unusual or more difficult chords, faster tempo, complex rhythms and strums.
LINKS
Other Austin ukulele groups we recommend:

Last edited:
Hi Dionysis,
I'm poking around the net looking for "strum-a-longs" I might join up with on my random travels south this winter. From Madison, Wisconsin. Have a line on what I think of as the "big" Austin group. Anyway, reading your note here about places to meet ... I joins groups weekly in senior centers (daytime) and churches (evenings and Saturday). And monthly there are larger strums in coffee shops -- 50 - 100 strummers. One is a Thursday evening and one is Saturday afternoon. People plan to get there early and eat so it makes it very worthwhile to the shops. And they both offer wine and beer so there is that. Just some thoughts. I will follow your Meetup and see if timing works out to play with you. What do you use for music?

Top Bottom