Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

Default Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

We've patiently (and impatiently) waited on the beginning of the last couple of Seasons. I thought I'd make it up a bit by introducing Season 314 a little early. Don't forget that Season 313's Seven Year Celebration, hosted by my favorite superhero, continues all day Sunday.

In just two weeks, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will be hosting the 90th annual Academy Awards. A big part of these awards, as well as a big part of movies themselves, are the many wonderful songs that have been celebrated by the Academy.

In its 90 years, there have been over 450 songs nominated for an Academy Award in the category Best Original Song. These songs, in almost every genre, have become part of our cultural consciousness.
    For Season 314, I'd like you to choose from these nominated songs and perform them as only Seasonistas can.

You may also write an original song for this Season, but it must have the name "Oscar" in the lyrics and in the title.

There's a link to all the nominated songs below. Have fun!

The Rules:
    * Your song must be newly-recorded for Season 314.
    * Don't post any videos that are not entries - put those things on the Island.
    * The video must say it's for Season 314, either written or verbalized.
    * No Song Limit!
    * Multitracking is fine, but the ukulele must be prominent.
    * The Season runs eight days, starting at midnight Hawaii time, Sunday, and ends eight days later at midnight, the end of the day, Sunday.
    * Please comment on others' work - it's always well appreciated!

Finally - There will be small Prizes this time

Academy Award Best Original Song Nominees

Playlist
    Last edited by Harry122; 02-17-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    Randy - Harry122

Wow! Great theme! Looking forward to getting stuck in!

Here's a link to a listing of the 82 Best Original songs from 2015: Spin.Com: Every Oscar Winner for Best Original Song, Ranked. It also includes mentions of songs that were nominated that should have won, but didn't.
    Last edited by redpaul1; 02-17-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: It's how I roll
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

What a fantastic theme Randy. Even a cursory look down that list shows what fantastic songs there are to choose from.

By "best original song" I assume you mean a song that we have written ourselves and not someone else's song. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    By "best original song" I assume you mean a song that we have written ourselves and not someone else's song. Is that correct?
    No it's a link to a Wikipedia list of all the songs nominated for a Best Original Song Oscar.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

The song can be any of the nominees in the Best Original Song category from the Oscars, as per the link in the intro post, or an original song that has “Oscar” in the title and also in the lyrics. That’s how I read it anyway

One Man And His Uke is correct. The songs you enter are songs that have been nominated for "Best Original Song" at the Oscar awards. There's a link at the bottom of the first post.

The song you choose does not have to be that year's winner, all nominated "Best Original Songs" are eligible.

There is also a "songwriting" option for those Seasonistas who prefer to write their own songs. The songs you write for this Season must have the name "Oscar" in the title and in the lyrics.

Hope this helps.
    Randy - Harry122

Unbelievable...just a few days after I used up "Raindrops Keep Fallin'..."
    But the good news is, my list of possibles for the year has not one, not two, not three, but FOUR other nominees on it.
    www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Wow, when it hits the '90s, they're practically all Disney songs.

Also, it's amazing how many of these songs I've already done for the seasons. There are also a couple of notable ones that I never quite got right, so I didn't perform them when I meant to. I might see if I can revisit them.
    Last edited by robinboyd; 02-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry122 View Post
    a pig part of movies themselves, are the many wonderful songs that have been celebrated by the Academy.
    Songs are the back bacon of the movies!
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information