Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

Nominated but did'nt win I dont know why.Perhaps confused with the chocolates

Default "Chim Chim Cher-ee" Oscar winner 1964

After weegingayin asked me if I was going for the pearly king look a couple of weeks ago, I knew I had to cover this one - but boy was it a challenge! Still, thanks to Rob & Randy for giving me the push to do it.

This version follows the one you see in the movie - with all 3 key changes!

I found the the actual sheet music after I recorded this, and it seems to be different to the music actually used in the film so I'm not sure which version actually won the Oscar (music copyright dates from 1963, but the movie copyright dates from 1964).

As mentioned, the music used in the movie goes through 3 key changes (Cm-Bbm-Bm-Cm [I went Am-Gm-Abm-Am]), whereas the published music remains in C-minor throughout. Nor does the song performed in the movie use the line: "Though I'm covered with soot from me 'ead to me toes, a sweep knows 'e's welcome wherever 'e goes.", even though that's contained in the published lyrics (it follows the line I choose me bristles with pride, yes I do - a broom for the shaft and a brush for the flue).
    Did Dick van Dyke ever actually sing that line? Or more to the point, does anyone know which version it was that the Oscar was actually awarded for?

p.s., Jimmy Page reckons Stairway to Heaven uses the same chord progression. Go figure.
    Last edited by redpaul1; 02-20-2018 at 07:45 AM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

1953 Fillum the caddy...which surprisingly isn't about the place that we Brits keep our tea ,but about some heinous activity called Golf (Which tragically is not only
    a small German car made by VW) . This song was kept off top spot and the golden feller by "secret Love " from the film "Calamity Jane".

I'm not a big fan of the Oscars or any of these award ceremonies. It's basically the glitterati patting themselves on the back. (old cynic that I am )

However there are some good songs among these:

Secret Love, from the movie "Calamity Jane" won the Oscar for best original song in 1953. It was recorded 10 years later in the UK by Kathy Kirby in a more up tempo version. Kathy Kirby's version is what I remember. I've chosen to do it more up tempo. Kathy Kirby opened the song with the middle 8 but I've left the sequence of the verses as they were in the original song but added some mouth trumpet before repeating the middle 8 at the end.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    1953 Fillum the caddy...which surprisingly isn't about the place that we Brits keep our tea ,but about some heinous activity called Golf (Which tragically is not only
    a small German car made by VW) . This song was kept off top spot and the golden feller by "secret Love " from the film "Calamity Jane".

https://youtu.be/EBKG4CEsUlc
    And look what was just underneath. I guess it got 'top spot' here
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Quote Originally Posted by weerpool View Post
    wow! wonderful job sir ! i covered this song for the original SOTU Oscars week 7 years ago.
    Thanks so much! Your version was fantastic! Great playing and vocal!

Thanks, Randy!

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

Thread Information