Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Uke today?

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    ...to test a small cart that has a chair attached..
    That looks really helpful. Can you share a link to the source? Thank you.
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I wonder if anyone else is as lazy about changing strings as I am. I wait until they break or shred. Hate to waste time that I could spend playing. Been about a year for me. LOL

bratsche

I don't wait until they break, but until the instrument starts getting weird about sound or tuning which seems to be almost until they break or have a visible deformity. If i have to tune too frequently or the sound keeps being off, that sucker is getting new strings. I actually dislike putting new on because then i will def have to be bothered to tune and re-tune; and stretch strings for a week or more depending on which uke it is.
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

Yesterday, I changed the awful sounding Factory strings on my Pono PC Concert to Oasis bright low G. It sounded great. It gave new life to this misunderstood Concert of mine. Today I haven't even picked up any Uke yet. I'd better stop typing and go play now.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

I picked up my daily player at bedside, and worked on ear-training from a Disney song playing on Alexa, lol.
    HOFFMANN ML STYLE CUSTOM CEDAR/EBONY CONCERT (HMLC1037)

Kamaka
    HF-2 from Music Folk/reverb
    HF-3 from rockyl/UU
    HF-3 KOA TENOR from HMS (S#170712)
    HF-3 DELUXE CEDAR/KOA TENOR from HMS (HF-3DC #171783)
    HF-38 from Uke man/UU

KOALOHA KOA CONCERT PACK from HMS (KCM-00, #17163)

PONO PC 5 SERIES CEDAR/ROSEWOOD TENOR from HMS (RTSH5-PC-C-SPO)

Today, I hadn't done anything, so whilst reading this thread, decided to grab one at random & play a couple of tunes.

(I had been practicing my chromatic harmonicas though. )
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Not much playing today, but took the plunge and removed the guitar-style tuners from my Mele concert, replacing them with Gotoh UPTs. A wonderful improvement, although annoyingly there's now a buzz on the C string. Ah well, fixing that will have to wait for another night.

IMG_20180221_192815_881.jpg IMG_20180221_192825_744.jpg

Also removed the awful headstock logo. Looks much better.
    ‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’ - Samuel Johnson

Restrung 3 ukuleles. Tenor uke with Living Waters custom dGBE strings, concert uke with Living Waters and a soprano with Martin fluorocarbon strings
    Then played the hell out of them...loving the baritone sound coming out of tenor 😃

...loving the baritone sound coming out of tenor
    Likewise - gives it a whole new life.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I wonder if anyone else is as lazy about changing strings as I am. I wait until they break or shred. Hate to waste time that I could spend playing. Been about a year for me. LOL

bratsche
    When I get a new uke, I often change the strings fairly quickly because I prefer fluorocarbon strings to the Nylgut or similar that normally come as standard.

After that, I will leave them until they really need changing. I've only once had a string break and that was on a soprano I kept tuning between C and D tuning. I retuned it up once to often. Otherwise I periodically feel along under the strings to see if they're getting rough. When it becomes bad, that's time to change them.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Put Aquila GCEA strings on this old baritone I got a few weeks ago for $20. Also, a Daddario classic wound low G string as recommended by Southern Ukulele store. Sounds big and boomy! I also ordered some Grover geared tuners, but the headstock is 1/2" thick, so they wouldn't work. I had a takeoff set from a Dolphin that had a longer shaft, so I used them, they're not the best, but they work, not sure whether to put much money into this thing since it's not really my thing, I don't even like tenor size! I would sell it, I have about $50 into it.

IMG_20180222_094730122.jpgIMG_20180222_094800168.jpgIMG_20180222_094746318.jpg
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Thread Information