What did you do to your Uke today?

I found out, having bought a tenor, then a soprano, & finally a concert, (in quick succession, I might add), that I spent my real learning time on concert scale, a lot of which was actually on a long neck soprano. :D

I now have a preference for long neck concerts, (tenor scale concert bodies). :)

I found out, having bought a tenor, then a soprano, & finally a concert, (in quick succession, I might add), that I spent my real learning time on concert scale, a lot of which was actually on a long neck soprano. :D

I now have a preference for long neck concerts, (tenor scale concert bodies). :)

Same with me, Croaky Keith. I prefer a concert body with a tenor scale, too. My Tiny Tenor is my favorite, the one I go to first. I purchased a Kamoa concert with tenor scale several years ago from Ukerepublic for my son. I liked that one a lot, too.

Tom

New String day for my Islander! I always take all the strings off and clean the fretboard with some lemon oil, also wipe down the body with a light coat and wipe it off on my satin finishes. (only have 1 gloss)

As I was starting to re-string, I noticed the tuners were kind of loose and remembered I had a new set of Grovers I ordered for something else so, figured why not change them out. They were a direct bolt-on, the stock ones were probably an unmarked Grover anyway.

The old strings were a used set of Living Water off of my Kanile'a that I put on just to see how they sounded, then I put on a wound low G, just to see how that sounded. Today, I put on a new set of high G Living Water.

These Islander laminates, which sell for about $160, IMHO are a great choice in that price range. I also had a MC-4, which I sold to a friend.

Also, string changes are a dream with bridge pins!!! I've changed several sets for myself and for a couple friends lately with tie bridges and they are just a royal pain!

IMG_20180503_112118892.jpg IMG_20180503_112212465.jpg IMG_20180503_112200555.jpg IMG_20180503_112149843.jpg

old tuners...
IMG_20150311_125930251.jpg

Last edited:
Brought it to work as usual. It's sitting in the corner of my office waiting for me to play it on my lunch hour, in the park. It keeps me going. This weekend, I plan to restring one ukulele. Then the next weekend, the other. I have to spread them out by weekends, because I have a gig and can't have both ukes with strings stretching and going out of tune. It's May. It's been over a year. (which is a long time for me). Then they'll be good for the summer. I try to do twice a year. Some might think overkill or underkill. But it works for me.

Unwound and rewound the strings on my Ubass for the 3rd and hopefully last time! It's been about 9 mos. and I think they might be settling in...:D

No more winds upon winds! Tunes and holds tune a lot better.
tuners.jpgtuners2.jpg

I put new Martin M600s on my old 1933 Martin style 0, treated the fretboard with lemon oil and wiped the whole thing down with a little lemon oil. Also, a few months ago I had Gotoh UPT tuners installed. I got frustrated playing open mic's and the thing going out of tune! Won't have that problem anymore...
IMG_20210210_104041629_HDR.jpg IMG_20210210_104056540_HDR.jpg IMG_20210210_104117824_HDR.jpg IMG_20210210_104139505_HDR.jpg

Also, I installed new Hipshots on my fretless bass ukulele, I just wanted to upgrade as the originals wouldn't fit easily into my string winder attachment. Plus, I will probably keep this for a long time and wanted to have the Hipshots on it. It's actually kind of odd that it didn't come with Hipshots, all my other 3 Ubasses that I've had, had Hipshots. Trimmed the strings too because they tend to stretch and get too many winds overlapping.
IMG_20210210_104640909.jpg IMG_20210210_104820130_HDR.jpg IMG_20210210_104855148_HDR.jpg IMG_20210210_104918055_HDR.jpg

I put new pyramid strings on my steel string bari . . . wowzer! What a difference strings can make. In addition, I purchased some additional pyramid strings for it . . . I also did considerable playing before running out the door to work.

Also, I installed new Hipshots on my fretless bass ukulele, I just wanted to upgrade as the originals wouldn't fit easily into my string winder attachment. Plus, I will probably keep this for a long time and wanted to have the Hipshots on it. It's actually kind of odd that it didn't come with Hipshots, all my other 3 Ubasses that I've had, had Hipshots. Trimmed the strings too because they tend to stretch and get too many winds overlapping.

I got very tired of having to restring the poly strings, so I'm getting rid of all of mine, just bought a set of Galli 23" flat wound for my custom SG bass, but the spools on the tuners were too short, so I ordered a set of Gotoh that have fatter and longer spools. Turns out there's enough metal in the nylon core Galli that the magnetic pickups work. I also ordered three more sets of Galli strings for my other basses.

Fanner SG done 900.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I just picked up my aNueNue Moon Bird tenor from my favorite shop where I had a Misi pickup installed. Clean, professional job and reasonably priced. They're mostly guitar-oriented, but the owner and his techs are wizards with stringed instrument repair and setups.

Used painters tape to mask off 2 tiny squares where I used a silver sharpie to mark frets 3 and 5 on my Flight and Vita-Uke sopranos.

For the life me, I can't understand why dots are put on the out-facing surface of fretboards.

-Wiggy

Just received another set of 23" scale Galli flat wounds that tonight I'm going to put on my Yamaha junior guitar I had converted to a bass uke.

Yamaha burst 1024.jpg

Added a second humidifier to the case. It has been especially cold for about a week and my hygrometer alarm went off today.

Replaced the strings of my custom Mele tenor from Oasis to Savarez and now loving the change.

I just picked up my aNueNue Moon Bird tenor from my favorite shop where I had a Misi pickup installed. Clean, professional job and reasonably priced. They're mostly guitar-oriented, but the owner and his techs are wizards with stringed instrument repair and setups.

Larry,

[I'd PM you, but have heard the system is balky.]

Could you please share the name of your 'favorite' shop? I'm in the Lancaster area, and would love a good recommendation; Harrisburg is definitely within reach.
(I'd also love to see your Moon Bird and others someday, should restrictions/cautions ever ease! I have an AMM2, a couple Rebels, and an upcoming Beansprout you might enjoy seeing, in return. #someday)

Thanks!
~ S.
pertinux @ gmail.com

String change on my Outdoor Soprano - felt like the Martin M600s weren't high enough tension on this ukulele, for some strange reason, as I generally like them. Changed to Freemont Clear Flourocarbons, and the tension is noticeably higher, but still very playable, and sound great. Still tinkering, but early returns on the Freemonts are really good...

Well not just today, but in the couple weeks since I got my Martin T1K I added a Waverly snakewood strap button (and Lakota Leathers mandolin strap - perfect fit), a JJB soundboard transducer with 1/4" output jack (under the strap button), replaced the Grover tuners with slightly better ones with koa buttons and a new set of Curt Mangan nylon strings while I was at it.

Today........

I took my Kala KA-SLNG out of its gig bag & played a tune on it.......it was still in tune - I also took my Ohana SK30L out its gig bag & played a tune on it, it too was still in tune.

Isn't it great when your strings stay in tune....... :music:

Just recd a room humidifier and set it up last night in the music room. Feel much better now. My hydrometer registered 37 before I got the humidifier. This morning, after the humidifier ran all night it registered 47. Usually, its not a problem, living in Portland, but our recent cold snap was giving me reason for alarm.

Top Bottom