Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it cheating or smart?

Default Is it cheating or smart?

Hello!

I'm new to the uke and have so many questions I want to ask! Rather than making a mamoth long post that no one wants to read through, I'll take more time and post them separately.

I've been working hard to practice and learn chords as well as learning to switch back and forth in time with the song without an awkward pause in between. I'm particularly working on G (0232) and Em (0432) with the 3 fingered chord using index, mid, & ring. I've learned that one can simply play the C string on 4th fret with your pinkie coming from the chord of G in order to not have to move everything (which part of me likes) but it feels kind of like cheating. I can't decide if it's playing smart or cheating. Is there one "right way" to play? Is it smart to develop multiple ways to play something now so I'll learn to change things up as I get better or am I developing bad habits that will be a pain to break later on?

Thanks so much in advance! So grateful for this incredible community!

I think it's genius! I've been playing for 10 years and have never come across that one. G to Em is so common, and i have always found it awkward. I just tried it with I-vi-ii-V progression (G-Em-Am-D) and it was super smooth.

Still, to continue improving, it is important to practice chord changes that require full lifting and replacing of the fingers. It just happens way too much to avoid.

What I suggest is learning chords and notes in their common positions, and using other fingerings when it becomes more efficient to do so.

Generally, C is generally played with the third finger because it is on the third fret, and when you play single notes in the first position, each finger is mapped to a fret...first finger first fret, second finger second fret, and so on.

This is also why A minor is generally played with the second finger, and C7 is generally played with the first finger.

Going from G to Em (0232 to 0432) can also be done by keeping the G shape and adding the pinky to the 4th fret of the 3rd string.

So, in summary, the established fingering on the ukulele reflects many years of real life experience (if there was a better way to play chords, someone would have said something), but most importantly, the ukulele is about efficency.

Learn C as 0003, played with the third finger (ring), and be able to do so on command. However, if you find that it is easier to play 0003 with the pinky in a particular transition...do so.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

If it sounds right then it's probably OK (in the context of the specific tune) ... if it sounds right and it's easy then it's definitely OK

There are no "hard and fast" rules, just guidelines. A lot can depend on your hand size and instrument size as to how easy or difficult any specific chord or chord sequence is.

Go for it! Develop your own style and be an individual
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Another way to smooth out G to Em is to play the G as a 3/4 barre with the middle finger playing the G on the E string. Then you just use the ring finger to play the E on the C string to make the Em.

I think it is smart! It makes it so easy to move from Em to G and vice versa. I found it harder to hit the Em as a 3 finger chord, I'd always have to pause a bit to think about it and find the chord that way. The G shape is easy and automatic to me so it makes much more sense to me to just add the pinky to make the Em. Thus the 4 finger Em is almost as automatic and easy as the G.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I tend to agree with Choirguy. As a person moves into more complex chords, fingerpicking and solos, it's important to be able to move around the fretboard efficiently. That entails having the correct finger in position for moving to the next chord or sound.

C and Em are relatively easy chords; it's just a matter of practice and muscle memory. There's no rules; I use different fingers for chording the same chord all the time; it depends where I'm going next on the fretboard. Learn the basics correctly and the advanced ones will come more easily. Main thing is to have fun and play however you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I tend to agree with Choirguy. As a person moves into more complex chords, fingerpicking and solos, it's important to be able to move around the fretboard efficiently. That entails having the correct finger in position for moving to the next chord or sound.

C and Em are relatively easy chords; it's just a matter of practice and muscle memory. There's no rules; I use different fingers for chording the same chord all the time; it depends where I'm going next on the fretboard. Learn the basics correctly and the advanced ones will come more easily. Main thing is to have fun and play however you choose.
    I kinda disagree here. I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced" but Em when played 0432 with the ring, middle, index is very awkward for many, especially when played in context, often after C or G.

Whatever makes the music come out.
    Dig Infinity!

It's smart.

Thread Information