Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many?

Default How Many?

I saw a survey here from a few years ago asking how many ukes are too many (as if that was really a thing). I've been playing a uke (sort of) for about five years, but I have a hard time resisting beautiful or special ukuleles. I now have twenty-seven, with one more coming in a month or so. Three are homemade cigar box ukes, and one is a cigar box I bought. I also made a tenor, courtesy of Stewart-MacDonald.

Of course I can't play all of them every day, but I do like taking each one out and playing that one for a few days. Keeping them all humidified can be a challenge.

I saw one other member who also has twenty-seven, and I'm wondering who else has "too many."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I saw a survey here from a few years ago asking how many ukes are too many (as if that was really a thing). I've been playing a uke (sort of) for about five years, but I have a hard time resisting beautiful or special ukuleles. I now have twenty-seven, with one more coming in a month or so. Three are homemade cigar box ukes, and one is a cigar box I bought. I also made a tenor, courtesy of Stewart-MacDonald.

Of course I can't play all of them every day, but I do like taking each one out and playing that one for a few days. Keeping them all humidified can be a challenge.

I saw one other member who also has twenty-seven, and I'm wondering who else has "too many."
    Was the same way- was heading towards collector-level # of ukes (not 27, but approaching 11 lol). But now I feel that if I had a house fire or theft and lost them all, would I have been over-doing it? I also keep in mind that Willie Nelson has had one guitar throughout his career and it is worn well from use. And he is a star. Not sure where you are life, but maybe it's my mid-life crisis/point; I think we all evolve and go through a process, and eventually find our maximum then start to sell off- just look at the Marketplace on this site. What's gonna happen to all my ukes when I die (wife will sell them on Ebay probably, lol)? I also find that I have some "go-to" ukes, and then others that are just sitting there.

So to answer OP, for myself any more than what I have listed below is too many. I just sold some to cull the herd, and if I feel the need to get another, would probably have to sell an existing one.
    HOFFMANN ML STYLE CUSTOM CEDAR/EBONY CONCERT (HMLC1037)

Kamaka
    HF-2 from Music Folk/reverb
    HF-3 from rockyl/UU
    HF-3 KOA TENOR from HMS (S#170712)
    HF-3 DELUXE CEDAR/KOA TENOR from HMS (HF-3DC #171783)
    HF-38 from Uke man/UU

KOALOHA KOA CONCERT PACK from HMS (KCM-00, #17163)

PONO PC 5 SERIES CEDAR/ROSEWOOD TENOR from HMS (RTSH5-PC-C-SPO)

I've been playing for 10 months and I've owned 10 different ukuleles. In the beginning my goals were quite different than what they are now. I had no idea of where I'd go with learning to play. I had no idea what size, scale, design, or sound I liked or was comfortable playing. Now I have 4. Each one has a specific personality and fits a specific niche. I play each one regularly. I see so many others that really peak my interest. I can't say that I won't buy another one in the future, but it would probably replace one that I already have. Even with just 4, I feel guilty if one gets neglected for even a week.
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

In my first year, I had to try out a few - different sizes, acoustic, electro-acoustic, electric.

So I purchased quite a few at the lower end price ranges, but eventually I found my ideal sized uke.

I now have two of that size, tenor scale concert, & my UAS has come to an end.

So, I would just say that I was still looking for my true uke size/scale when I was buying them.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I've bought/sold many -- over 55 so far -- and enjoy experiencing different ukes. I have 13, which except for three concerts (one of which is 16") are all tenors. I keep four out for regular play. They're all pretty special custom ukes but I do go through periods where I "wish" I had "only" 5-6 even though I do rotate them so they all get some play. Of the ones I've sold, many I would have been quite happy to keep and do in fact miss, but there are only a couple that I truly, truly regret selling. For me, the exploring/experiencing different ukes is as much part of the ukulele experience as learning to play. I do find myself exploring less and playing more, as I've come to realize I can't own all the special ukes. ;-)
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I don't think there is such a number as too many. I mean, one can have as many as they want. Who cares? I'll not judge anyone on the number of ukuleles they possess or even if they play them all or not. But I have three, two concerts and a soprano. The one concert takes the brunt of beatings, the other two get a little more careful consideration. I'm not going to say that is enough for me though, because I said that I had enough for years when I had two concerts, but then I decided that I just had to have a soprano, so we will just have to wait and see.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

It's very scientific! At any point in space & time, be like Einstein...he loved ukes!

einstein_uke1.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-21-2018 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks! So I'm not crazy!

I'm the one with 27 ukes Jerry mentioned. I fully embrace GAS/UAS and enjoy collecting. I rotate through them regularly, playing bass twice a week with The CC Strummers, and uke with the Culver Acoustics Meetup in the park on Sundays. As my signature shows, it's 8 tenor ukes, 11 bass ukes, but I don't really consider the 8 mini electrics ukes since they don't have fat poly strings or under saddle pickups.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I will soon have 4 and for me, that is too many. My skill probably doesn't even justify having more than one so having more than that is indulgent for me. My magic number is 3. It provides enough variety to satisfy that need and I can still play each often enough to justify their cost. I haven't received my 4th one yet but I'm already trying to sell one of my current ukes.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Thread Information