Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele..."an" or "a"

Default Ukulele..."an" or "a"

I've seen many posts containing "an ukulele".

Even though "an ukulele" is the proper grammar, I've never heard anyone actually say that while speaking, like someone asking you "Do you have an ukulele?". Wazzup with that?

Ok, enough of that, I gotta go grab an uke now, and study my Circle of 4ths

Forget about "a" or "an", who owns only one ukulele anyway? It is always ukuleleS!!!
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

I'm going to throw this out there from college linguistics, which was a long time ago. I believe it is not based on whether the first letter is a vowel or not, but how it is pronounced. In the case of unicorn, it is a unicorn, not an unicorn. So if you pronounce it you-ka-lele, it would be a you-ka-lele. If you pronounce it oo-ka-lele, it would be an oo-ka-lele. Don't hold me to this, I'm going way back in my knowledge of this sort of trivia.
    Last edited by Rllink; 02-21-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

It's "ook" versus "yook" all over again. I imagine Rllink is correct: those who are from the "ook" school will be prone to use use "an," while those from the "yook" school will prefer using "a."

Yeah, that makes sense...a uke vs an ook...a written vs spoken word thing, thanks.

This has been flamed/trolled to death a million times already. Has to do with how you say it. https://www.google.com/search?q=site....com+oo+vs+you
    Brad Bordessa
    Webmaster of Live 'Ukulele.com
    Admin for The Ukulele Way

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I'm going to throw this out there from college linguistics, which was a long time ago. I believe it is not based on whether the first letter is a vowel or not, but how it is pronounced. In the case of unicorn, it is a unicorn, not an unicorn. So if you pronounce it you-ka-lele, it would be a you-ka-lele. If you pronounce it oo-ka-lele, it would be an oo-ka-lele. Don't hold me to this, I'm going way back in my knowledge of this sort of trivia.
    I'll hold you to this. 100% correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I think this is right as well. So let's go with 'an ukulele'!

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    Forget about "a" or "an", who owns only one ukulele anyway? It is always ukuleleS!!!
    Never were truer words spoken!
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Yep, it should be ukes......

However, if you pronounce it yookalaylee, it's a.........but if you pronounce it ookooleylee it's an........but it doesn't stop there....because when you write it, you either write it ukulele or 'ukulele, the first uses an a, but the second form should correctly use an an........
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information