Anyone tried the Aquila Sugar Strings?

........I'm not giving up my Living Waters or Worths anytime soon on my other ukuleles. But these are great on the resonator & banjolele.

Nice review. FWIW- when it is time to change strings, you might try a set of Sugar strings on one of your regular ukes, just in the name of science!

I LOVE Worth strings. Browns on a loud uke to mellow it out and Clears on a quiet uke to help it project.

I have the new sugar strings on a Koaloha concert and I have another with Worth Clears. I've been playing everyday for 5 years.

But, if I close my eyes and switch between them, I cannot tell the difference in sound. Which I feel is a pretty big deal. I do believe that the sugar strings could be a tiny bit thicker.

If I put the white Aquila strings on one of the two, I would definitely be able to tell the difference.

Just my 2 cents. :)

EDW, I put Sugars on my Ohana TK-50 GS Rosewood/Cedar Tenor. A definate improvement over the Aquila Nylgut & D'Adarrio Nylon strings. Very much an amalgam of Nylgut & Fluorocarbon sound. I like them, but still prefer the Browns and Living Waters. I'll leave them on for a while. I don't play the Ohana very often. But when I do, I'll work them and see if they grow on me.

I just tried these on a couple of my ukes and, honestly, I couldn't stand them because of the squeaking.

I've been trying lots of different strings... love the Martins, love the Worth Clear and Browns and the Living Waters are nice on some. But these Sugar ones... so thick, so squeaky.... what am i missing?

I just tried these on a couple of my ukes and, honestly, I couldn't stand them because of the squeaking.

I've been trying lots of different strings... love the Martins, love the Worth Clear and Browns and the Living Waters are nice on some. But these Sugar ones... so thick, so squeaky.... what am i missing?

The squeaking lessens with time and if you use some hand lotion; but what you are missing is a good compromise for people that like the dimensions of Super Nylgut but the sound of fluorocarbon. Most people say they are bright and loud, and I would personally rather see these on ukuleles as stock strings versus the Nylgut, by that’s just me.

I have played them for a while and at this point mine do not squeak. Where some fluorocarbon strings are crisp but can sound a little thin, I find that these produce a rich, warm and balanced sound, but still have a lot of sparkle and brilliance. Who knows, down the road I may switch them out, but right now they seem to be a good mix.

My Pono Pro Classic got no love for over a year. Why? I hated the tinny sound. Today I switched over from the Fremont Blacklines I had on it to Aquila Sugars and man oh man - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Loud, chimey bell like tone, shimmers, vibrato and slides are loud, harmonics. Just a whole new uke - and I didn't have to buy a new ukelele.

A shout-out to Mimmo for all he does for us. For me, on this ukulele, they are FANTASTIC.

3.jpg

My Pono Pro Classic got no love for over a year. Why? I hated the tinny sound. Today I switched over from the Fremont Blacklines I had on it to Aquila Sugars and man oh man - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Loud, chimey bell like tone, shimmers, vibrato and slides are loud, harmonics. Just a whole new uke - and I didn't have to buy a new ukelele.

A shout-out to Mimmo for all he does for us. For me, on this ukulele, they are FANTASTIC.

View attachment 113768

I agree. Aquila Sugar has saved a few of my Ukes from being sold.

I've had a set on my Martin tenor for a few weeks now. I don't have any squeak anymore but had a bit initially. I really like them, nice full sound and loud. They do feel thicker than the Martin's I'm used to but they are very nice. If you try them, keep them on for a week or two at least to give them a fair shot.

I've had a set on my tenor a few weeks now. I like them quite a bit with one exception...the C string is a bit boomy for my liking. I may try a Thomastik-Infeld CF27 to see if that tones the C string down some.

I had ordered some a few months ago and decided to put them on my new Ohana SK-38 immediately - the nylguts are a bad match with that uke. The squeaking was super annoying at first but just a little hand cream and the squeak pretty much vanished right away. I’m a big fan of fluorocarbon and probably would have got some Martin M600s otherwise. I haven’t quite figured out what’s unique about the sound yet, but it seems a little more complex or richer than fluoro. So far I’m liking it.

put a bit of hand-cream on your fingers and it stop to disturb you
Take care
Mimmo

I never noticed the squeak that everyone was complaining about until I played one evening when my hands were very dry. It was quite noticeable. So I agree with Mimmo, keep the hands moisturized and the sugars are a nice set of strings.

I tried the sugar strings on a Timms soprano Love the idea of them and they are much better than nylgut to my ear. The squeak didn't really bother me, and the strings feel good. They would be great as stock strings. But I find I prefer the sound and timber of fluorocarbon. Worth Browns, Clears and Martin 600s for me. I have not tried a LOT of strings, so likely missing some good ones, but I hate stringing and stretching for weeks and am loathe to change all that often.

I put sugars on my oversized Pono baritone, & tuned it to A (E A C# F#). GRRREAT!!! The wound #3 & #4 tend to be very slightly louder than the trebles so I give the amp a teeny treble boost when playing electronically. Another benefit -- if these strings ever need replacement, I plan to use the old ones to sweeten my coffee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom