Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the Aquila Sugar Strings?

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Are the sugar strings noticeably harder than fluorocarbon strings?
    Hard to say. If they are it is certainly not bad. I find them very comfortable to play. I am using them on a soprano, so any effect may not be as noticeable as it might be on a larger instrument.
    Last edited by EDW; 03-08-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Are the sugar strings noticeably harder than fluorocarbon strings?
    Absolutely. They are harder. Personally, I don’t like harder strings but some people prefer them.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Absolutely. They are harder. Personally, I don’t like harder strings but some people prefer them.
    Just curious, what strings do you find comfortable on a tenor? Right now I’m using Oasis warm, but while I love the tone, they’re still a little hard for me. Thinking of switching back to D’Addario. Experimented with concert strings but didn’t like the sound much.

Quote Originally Posted by NoyBoy98 View Post
    Just curious, what strings do you find comfortable on a tenor? Right now I’m using Oasis warm, but while I love the tone, they’re still a little hard for me. Thinking of switching back to D’Addario. Experimented with concert strings but didn’t like the sound much.
    Try the Southcoast "soft" formula, SLMU-NW or SMU-NW depending on your tension and tuning preference. http://southcoastukes.com/uku-nw.htm
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by NoyBoy98 View Post
    The following are my current go-to’s:

Oasis Brights
    Southcoast Light Mediums or Mediums
    Aquila Carbonblacks
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Strings by Mail got back to me today (I had e-mailed in January) as they just put the Sugar Strings in their system. I placed an order for Soprano, Concert, and Tenor strings today. A couple are back ordered, but that’s okay. I’m not in a hurry.

Mimmo, if you read this, is there a way to make a non-wound low set of Sugar strings? I might be weird about this, but I’m just not a fan of a wound string on a ukulele (I have a KoAloha with unwound Low G string from the factory, and Living Waters with a unwound low D on my cheap Lanikai Baritone—and yes, it was cheap—$35).
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

Ah! This is a great problem, man.
    if I will do the unwound Sugar Low G a lot of people will be upset with me. I have done a certain production of single, spair sugar red low G that one, if want, can buy directly.
    The Sugar Low G ar present uses wound strings.
    I am very happy about these Sugar red low g: pratically all the 'haters' of the unwound low G that gived me an huge help testing the sample gave me a very positive rensponse. They work even for them
    Mimmo

Mimmo,

Is that red sugar unwound G available for purchase on the Aquila website?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

yes,
    they are available
    send a mail because we have some troubles in the on line shop
    Mimmo

Hey guys, good news
    I have done the job for those that mailed me as tester for Sugar sets with less tension.
    I will do the expedition tonmorrow morning our local italian time.
    I am curious to hear by the tester what they think switching to lighter gauges.
    despite that I would like to remember two things:

1) it is a mistake to think that the standard Sugar has more tension than the fluorocarbon strings. All the fluorocarbon strings, except the Martin ones, has much more tension. Please do not confond a feel of tension than the real tension in Kg: it is a very diffeerent concept. Fluorocarbon strings are thinner so they can give the feel that they has less tension but it is not true at all.
    2) The density of the sugar plastic is same of nylgut so the standard gauges hare exactly the same and produce the same tension of our common supernylgut/new nylgut sets

well waiting your tests guys
    Mimmo

Thread Information