Thread: Baritone songs

Default Baritone songs

Looking for baritone uke songs...well I have a tenor tuned to dGBE...
    I can play any normal uke songs using same shapes but with a deeper tone or many guitar songs leaving out low e and a strings. But Iím looking for songs that sound good on baritone ukulele..
    Not sure if too clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Darylmesa View Post
    Looking for baritone uke songs...well I have a tenor tuned to dGBE...
    I can play any normal uke songs using same shapes but with a deeper tone or many guitar songs leaving out low e and a strings. But I’m looking for songs that sound good on baritone ukulele..
    Not sure if too clear.
    http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/

Tenor tuned dGBE doesn't sound quite the same as a baritone. I have both and they have a different sound which is accentuated by the difference between the reentrant and linear tunings. I use the tenor for strummed accompaniments and the baritone mostly for finger picked accompaniments.

Any song can be played on either, it's a matter of trying them out and seeing which you like. I often try songs on different ukes with different tunings then decide which I like best.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Echoing what Geoff noted. Though there are different ways to tune the baritone (reentrant, linear, fifths - such as tenor guitar and octave mandolin), I believe the "standard" is linear DGBE. Recently mine has been tuned to standard and I flatpick Celtic and Irish tunes on it.

I have my tenor strung with Living Waters dGBE and the sound is very nice and natural with great tension.

I think you will find HumbleBaritonics tunes are all for standard DGBE, not re entrant dGBE, which is best for strumming, I think.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

The answer is "All songs" can sound good on baritone ukulele... or any ukulele for that matter.

It's just an ukulele tuned in a different key, giving it a deeper voice.
    One could argue "more" music sounds right on a baritone ukulele than a conventional ukulele, because for the rest of the world, more songs were written with guitar in mind, and the baritone is pretty much a guitar with 4 strings.

Thread Information