Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shure MV88 Condenser mic for iOS - REVIEW

Default Shure MV88 Condenser mic for iOS - REVIEW

Likely of interest for anyone who uses iPhone or iPad to record home videos for Open mic competitions.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/02/s...condenser.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Thanks for another great review Baz.

Shure was pretty late to the game for mobile recording & iOS devices.

Had I not already purchased and been very happy with an Apogee MiC (thanks Libranian/Andrew!), I might have explored one of these when they came out.

For folks just starting out, this Shure MV88 is a very nice option too. Brenda (SoloRule) I think has been using one of these for her videos over the past year, and they also sound very good to me.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Thanks fella

The more I try this, the more the sound impresses me. You would have thought an Android version would have been easy, so think they missed a trick there.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Thanks fella

The more I try this, the more the sound impresses me. You would have thought an Android version would have been easy, so think they missed a trick there.
    Sure thing Baz

External audio devices on Android is still a minefield, wholly on account of Google not enforcing a standard software driver interface for USB audio (an 'API' in programmer lingo) to be used by software and hardware developers as a reference design in the baseline version of Android that is offered to all of the device makers.

Most other operating systems (both mobile and desktop, Windows/Linux/Mac/Unix and iOS) use 'Class-Compliant' USB audio drivers that are build-in to the operating system and are quite generic, as well as electronics controller chips used in the hardware, so one device works basically everywhere, but Android is the exception to this.

Because of the exception, USB audio on an Android device via an OTG cable is a crap-shoot if it will work or not with a SPECIFIC app, and the app developer usually has to write their own USB audio stack, even if the hardware itself is class compliant.

Shure could do this handily, as they are a big enough company, but maybe they do not see a big enough market for it to pay off.

Apple users are by now used to paying that premium for both Apple OEM as well as 3rd-party add-on devices.
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit

Interesting. Did not know all that, but it’s a long time since I ran anything Android

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Thanks for another great review Baz.

Shure was pretty late to the game for mobile recording & iOS devices.

Had I not already purchased and been very happy with an Apogee MiC (thanks Libranian/Andrew!), I might have explored one of these when they came out.

For folks just starting out, this Shure MV88 is a very nice option too. Brenda (SoloRule) I think has been using one of these for her videos over the past year, and they also sound very good to me.
    One thing to add, as mentioned to me by Brenda (SoloRule) after she saw what I posted above, is that the higher price for better audio devices is usually a deterrent for beginners since they typically want the cheapest thing possible and likely will not pay more, for something that performs and sounds better.

Due to lack of experience and despite advice from those of us who have been down this path a number of times, they end up with lesser quality, but 'passable' audio recordings. Having a high-end point of reference will prevent this, but not everyone has access to, or even cares to explore better options

It comes down to proving once again that the 'buy cheap, buy twice' law comes into effect once they discover that a $30 mic sounds bad compared to a $150+ mic, and then the upgrade cycle begins until the budget is maxed out.

This perspective is made worse when too many folks are listening back on laptop, tablet or phones, with TINY built-in speakers, and/or cheap headphones, all of which fail greatly in reproducing 'accurate' (but not necessarily 'audiophile') audio fidelity, and all of this is due to the physics involved in a small speaker as a limited bandwidth of the frequency spectrum that it can reproduce, usually very focused on midrange and sacrificing most of the bass and treble and 'presence' of better speakers and headphones.

You can get very good fidelity from a $50 pair of Koss Porta-Pro headphones, and/or a $75 pair of Sony MDS965s, and even AKG now has the K40s or K70s for about $40 which are very good too.

One need not spend $200 for a set of Grado or $450 for BeyerDynamic or $800 for Sennheiser cans these days, but all of the ear-pods or ear-buds that sell for under $150 are very much like a string tied to a tin can in comparison to the better ear-pods, but it is a hard sell for folks to justify this expense.
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit

Indeed, plus I find the YouTube compression ( as a format so many people use) is pretty awful

Interesting- thanks.
    I've been looking at these for simple sound samples on my iphone (they both need a splitter cable and phantom power box- which is another $20

Cheapy package
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VJV1RH...v_ov_lig_dp_it

or this
    MXL
    https://www.amazon.com/MXL-990-Conde...VTHDCWNQGDAF48

Splitter cable
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GCV97P...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Phantom power box
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IUS7U9M...v_ov_lig_dp_it

As I commented on the gotaukulele.com post, I have a $40 Blue Snowball mic that does a pretty nice job when I use it. But it is clunky and inconvenient, and not really that portable if you like to take your iPad/iPhone outdoors to shoot. This Shure looks like a wonderful thing to ask Santa to slip into my stocking ...
    Martin C1K KoAlana mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Lanakai LU-21 baritone Kala KA-EBY-S soprano Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Yes, the convenience of this is one of the key selling points. I have a Snowball too - nice mic, but doesn't have the stereo that this one has. In fact the Stereo imaging on the Shure is remarkably good.

Thread Information