Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion, Romero Replica

Default Opinion, Romero Replica

I like the look and sound of the new Romero Replicas, but I am not sure if it is worth the price, being produced in I believe Vietnam. Any options?
    Current Herd:

Sopranos:
    Recent Martins: 3 Centennial, 5K, 3 Cherry and OXK
    Vintage Martin: 1950s #1
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Laughlin 3K, (1920 Martin 3K Bow Tie and Kite copy, 1 of 2) and Mahogany 3

Concert:
    Magic Fluke Flea

Tenor:
    Kiwaya KMT-K, strung with Aquila Reds, sweet as can be
    Pono Master Series Tenor, Cedar/Mahogany
    Romero Creations Replica, Mahogany

Tiple:
    Yasuma (Martin T28 copy, Rosewood with Spruce top)

If you’re talking this model (as seen at the Uke Republic) http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...-tenor-ukulele, the price seems fair for an equivalent solid wood, “blingy” import from Pono—and might even be a better price point than an equivalently equipped Pono.

Nothing against Pono...just using that brand as a comparable instrument (I can’t think of another brand that would fit in that range...A KoAloha Opio really isn’t the same thing).
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

A comparable Kala or Ohana would be several hundred less...

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...-tenor-ukulele
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 02-25-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

I agree with Choirguy in so far as the Romero comparing favorably to Pono in sound, detail and a lower price. Pono are made in Indonesia and Romero Replica are in Vietnam so I really don't see a difference or concern. I thought all three examples at HMS sound wonderful, especially the mahogany. If it came with a radiused fretborad I would have already purchased it, seriously
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thanks for the feedback. My wife likes the Mango. I like the appearance of the Koa, but it seems to bark a bit and I am leaning toward the hog top. They all look to be very nice and any of them would be a nice addition. I was initially looking at the Tiny Tenors, but the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, which defeats my purpose for international travel.
    Last edited by Django; 02-25-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Current Herd:

Sopranos:
    Kiwaya KTS-7

Concert:
    Magic Fluke Flea

Tenor:

Tiple:

I agree with Dave and choirguy. These are well priced. They likely compare to Pono quality wise. When I get to play one, if I like, i’d Buy one. I think RC are making terrific product. Try one, you will likely find you like it. Unlike a Pono, the Replica is a 12 fret to body joint. This is neither here nor there, but something to notice.
    My .02 cents

I looked them over closely at NAMM and was very impressed with the build execution and the tone. Personally, I think they are nicer than anything I've seen even remotely close in price. My $0.02.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I am curious about these too. And I'd agree that their value can probably be best compared to Pono: They are both made in Asia (but not by one of the ominous Chinese factories), they are both the import line from well-respected luthiers, they are both made out of all solid woods and with wooden binding; they both have an impeccable mirror-flat gloss finish. The differences between the two are noteworthy as well: As mentioned above, the Romero Replica has the neck joint at the 12th fret, whereas Pono has 14 frets to the body; Pono offers a radius fretboard and now a side sound port along with other upgrade options such as a slotted headstock or armbevel.

Judging from the sound samples, I think the Romeros might have a bit more clarity, resonance and openness. Again, judging from distance, I think they are well worth the price, and I'd love to try one sometime. Out of the available wood options, I'd go for Mahogany. Personally, I could do without the Abalone purfling; maybe Pepe could think about having a slightly more affordable version without the bling.

I have decided to take the plunge. I will be getting the all Mahogany Replica that Cory played for the sound sample. I guess a sound sample from me won’t be necessary. For what it is worth, I will share my opinion. I went for the full setup, so it will be a few weeks, but should be worth the wait.
    Last edited by Django; 02-27-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Current Herd:

Sopranos:
    Kiwaya KTS-7

Concert:
    Magic Fluke Flea

Tenor:

Tiple:

Oh man. I DO want to know what you think of the Replica. I know a little bit about RC Vietnam instruments as I have an all mahogany tiny tenor. It's an amazing instrument. I know the build quality is high. I know that Pepe's unique internal design features are outstanding. I really want to get a Replica.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "Lumière"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele wound Low-G
    Cynthia Lin Performance uke. Concert scale with a cutaway Low-G
    Kala Soprano KA-KCT-S Ziricote fitted with Ernie Ball clear High-G
    Just ordered a tenor sized custom electric uke from Brian Fanner . . . wonder how long ETA. . .

Thread Information