Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinion, Romero Replica

My first thought when I saw this thread was "what is this a replica of"? I assumed it was something very rare, special and well known, justifying a replica.

Their website says: "A production replica of Pepe Romero’s handmade tenor ‘ukulele".

Was his handmade uke a one-off, or were other handmade examples sold, and now the production model is offered to make them more widely available? Regardless, it looks great, but I was just curious on the history.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    My first thought when I saw this thread was "what is this a replica of"? I assumed it was something very rare, special and well known, justifying a replica.

Their website says: "A production replica of Pepe Romero’s handmade tenor ‘ukulele".

Was his handmade uke a one-off, or were other handmade examples sold, and now the production model is offered to make them more widely available? Regardless, it looks great, but I was just curious on the history.
    You can always ask Pepe himself. But, I believe he makes a series of handmade versions (that Pepe make with his own hands) for sale. But, offers the Replica (made by some very, very talented Vietnamese luthiers) in larger quantities and at lower prices. Excellent quality control.
    Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. Low-G. I named it "Lumière"
    Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol. High-G I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele wound Low-G
    Cynthia Lin Performance uke. Concert scale with a cutaway Low-G
    Kala Soprano KA-KCT-S Ziricote fitted with Ernie Ball clear High-G
    Just ordered a tenor sized custom electric uke from Brian Fanner . . . wonder how long ETA. . .

Pepe builds very few custom ukes per year and being high end customs, there is a large part of the market that could never own one. So he decided to make a production replica of his custom uke to put a quality instrument in the hands of a lot more people.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I get it, thanks!
    John

Other than bling, is there a difference between the replica and the grand tenor uke?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshirley View Post
    Other than bling, is there a difference between the replica and the grand tenor uke?
    The grand tenor has a slightly larger body (deeper I believe). I don't own a grand tenor or replica but sure played them a lot when I was shopping for my TT6 and Baritone 6 last month. And they feel and sound great. A couple things stood out compared to the abundant Pono on the wall was a little more room on the neck, especially at the bridge for us fingerpickers and a more silky tone with a more guitar like sustain (rather than the more percussive fast ukulele decay). The grand had a little more boom to the bottom end but otherwise was similar on character to the other RC tenors. I liked them all but was leaning towards the spruce top variants—a little more timbre contrast and bite as you pick towards the sound hole and bridge (more like a guitar response).

Here's one of the series 5 spruce/koa originals:

https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p4...quot-spko.html

Price isn't shown but the few I priced ranged from $3500 to $5000. This one looks to be more on the expensive side.

I've been on the fence for awhile. I have a very nice MTD-SP all solid wood - spruce top/mahogany Pono with excellent gloss finish. I've never bonded with it. I want to try the UPTL tuners on the Replica . I like my Pono AT so much I think that is why my MTD-SP sits. MTD-SP is very nice. Radius fretboard. I like Spruce tops. I like Acacia back and sides. Seems like a match in heaven for me. I also, prefer a matt finish. But, at same time the Spruce/Mahogany all blinged out Replica sounds pretty nice. Maybe is Cory...…… I know , if I could play the two spruce tops, I'd pick one and trade in my Pono. I'm just to far away so...………… interested to hear from others who play. I did immediately like both the matt and the gloss spruce top sound samples. I've never tried a 12 fret to body instrument and I'm a HUGE fan on Pono with there 14 frets to body. I think these compare well to each other. My .02 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    The grand tenor has a slightly larger body (deeper I believe). I don't own a grand tenor or replica but sure played them a lot when I was shopping for my TT6 and Baritone 6 last month. And they feel and sound great. A couple things stood out compared to the abundant Pono on the wall was a little more room on the neck, especially at the bridge for us fingerpickers and a more silky tone with a more guitar like sustain (rather than the more percussive fast ukulele decay). The grand had a little more boom to the bottom end but otherwise was similar on character to the other RC tenors. I liked them all but was leaning towards the spruce top variants—a little more timbre contrast and bite as you pick towards the sound hole and bridge (more like a guitar response).
    That’s what I was thinking but have never seen the ukes side by side. I recently got a grand tenor from HMS and love it. The wider neck makes it easy to play and it sounds “big”. My Kamaka is my all time favorite but on the Grand the outside strings are further from the edge. Makes pull-offs easier.

There is a very long wait if you want one made by him. These don't have that wait. That is what they say in their marketing.

Thread Information