Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion, Romero Replica

Default Opinion, Romero Replica

I like the look and sound of the new Romero Replicas, but I am not sure if it is worth the price, being produced in I believe Vietnam. Any options?
    Current Herd:

Sopranos:
    Recent Martins: 3 Centennial, 5K, 3 Cherry and OXK
    Vintage Martin: 1950s #1
    Kiwaya KTS-7
    Laughlin 3K, (1920 Martin 3K Bow Tie and Kite copy, 1 of 2) and Mahogany 3

Concert:
    Magic Fluke Flea

Tenor:
    Kiwaya KMT-K, strung with Aquila Reds, sweet as can be
    Pono Master Series Tenor, Cedar/Mahogany
    Romero Creations Replica, Mahogany

Tiple:
    Yasuma (Martin T28 copy, Rosewood with Spruce top)

If you’re talking this model (as seen at the Uke Republic) http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...-tenor-ukulele, the price seems fair for an equivalent solid wood, “blingy” import from Pono—and might even be a better price point than an equivalently equipped Pono.

Nothing against Pono...just using that brand as a comparable instrument (I can’t think of another brand that would fit in that range...A KoAloha Opio really isn’t the same thing).
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

A comparable Kala or Ohana would be several hundred less...

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product...-tenor-ukulele
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 02-25-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

I agree with Choirguy in so far as the Romero comparing favorably to Pono in sound, detail and a lower price. Pono are made in Indonesia and Romero Replica are in Vietnam so I really don't see a difference or concern. I thought all three examples at HMS sound wonderful, especially the mahogany. If it came with a radiused fretborad I would have already purchased it, seriously
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Thanks for the feedback. My wife likes the Mango. I like the appearance of the Koa, but it seems to bark a bit and I am leaning toward the hog top. They all look to be very nice and any of them would be a nice addition. I was initially looking at the Tiny Tenors, but the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, which defeats my purpose for international travel.
    Last edited by Django; 02-25-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Current Herd:

Sopranos:
    Kiwaya KTS-7

Concert:
    Magic Fluke Flea

Tenor:

Tiple:

I agree with Dave and choirguy. These are well priced. They likely compare to Pono quality wise. When I get to play one, if I like, i’d Buy one. I think RC are making terrific product. Try one, you will likely find you like it. Unlike a Pono, the Replica is a 12 fret to body joint. This is neither here nor there, but something to notice.
    My .02 cents

I looked them over closely at NAMM and was very impressed with the build execution and the tone. Personally, I think they are nicer than anything I've seen even remotely close in price. My $0.02.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I am curious about these too. And I'd agree that their value can probably be best compared to Pono: They are both made in Asia (but not by one of the ominous Chinese factories), they are both the import line from well-respected luthiers, they are both made out of all solid woods and with wooden binding; they both have an impeccable mirror-flat gloss finish. The differences between the two are noteworthy as well: As mentioned above, the Romero Replica has the neck joint at the 12th fret, whereas Pono has 14 frets to the body; Pono offers a radius fretboard and now a side sound port along with other upgrade options such as a slotted headstock or armbevel.

Judging from the sound samples, I think the Romeros might have a bit more clarity, resonance and openness. Again, judging from distance, I think they are well worth the price, and I'd love to try one sometime. Out of the available wood options, I'd go for Mahogany. Personally, I could do without the Abalone purfling; maybe Pepe could think about having a slightly more affordable version without the bling.

I have decided to take the plunge. I will be getting the all Mahogany Replica that Cory played for the sound sample. I guess a sound sample from me won’t be necessary. For what it is worth, I will share my opinion. I went for the full setup, so it will be a few weeks, but should be worth the wait.
    Last edited by Django; 02-27-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    Current Herd:

Sopranos:
    Kiwaya KTS-7

Concert:
    Magic Fluke Flea

Tenor:

Tiple:

Oh man. I DO want to know what you think of the Replica. I know a little bit about RC Vietnam instruments as I have an all mahogany tiny tenor. It's an amazing instrument. I know the build quality is high. I know that Pepe's unique internal design features are outstanding. I really want to get a Replica.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"

Thread Information