Opinion, Romero Replica

A "Romero Replica" sounds like a knock-off of a genuine Romero. Why in the world would they choose such a name? "Want to buy a Romero Replica?" "No! I want to buy the real thing."

Because the Romero Replica is a more affordable version of Pepe Romero's custom tenor ukulele. It's also more readily available. Both factors are why Romero Creations started making these. I have the mahogany version and it is wonderful.

Several years ago he came out with a small guitar. I met him at a festival and played it and it was nice. Really nice. I asked my local uke shop if he could get one. (Hadn’t decided for sure at the festival) Next time I was in he’d talked to Pepe and he said he’d make one for $$$$! What? I quickly told him I wanted the “cheap” imported one. The real stuff takes time and cost a lot. Even if I could have played well, which I can’t, at that price I wouldn’t want to touch it. The import from Vietnam is high quality work. Just thought I’d share my experience.

A "Romero Replica" sounds like a knock-off of a genuine Romero. Why in the world would they choose such a name? "Want to buy a Romero Replica?" "No! I want to buy the real thing."

I don't associate negativity with the term "replica." To me, the term simply implies precision since it is an exact copy of something. In this case, an exact copy of Pepe's one-off custom luthier made models. I too would prefer owning the actual luthier made instrument but coughing up the 5 grand or so (and waiting 4 or 5 years) for the "real thing" makes the replica look pretty darn good. Now if Pepe would have named it "fossil" or "clone" that might been a bit negative.

I have been curious as to how accurate the copies are to the originals?

Do they have the same bracing and kerfing as Pepe's originals? Same tuners? Etc.

I have read that these ukuleles are very close to the originals in design and build.

The term "replica" has gotten pretty loose over the years. From an "exact copy" to a "model" of the original. Similar in superficial appearance only.

Last edited:
I would consider the replica series to be both similar in superficial appearance and design to the originals but not exact clones. In other words, the replica designs seem to be as close to the originals as a production line build can muster but have obvious compromises to meet the price point. Pepe makes a big deal about use of the same reverse fan brace, Spanish foot, etc. However, unlike production line builds, each luthier made instrument is tweaked by the builder for optimal sound. He might make slight changes to the soundboard and bracing to compensate for the characteristics of a particular piece of wood. Also, the custom instruments normally have a French polish rather than the plastic based finishes used for the replica. French polish is the ultimate in acoustic tone but isn't very durable. All of mine turned to goo on the neck and other areas where I touch. The Polyester finishes, while not as open sounding or loud, can take sweat and splashes of beer without flinching. The replicas have an inlaid graphic on the head stock whereas the custom line sports a plain unadorned head stock. Finally, most of the replicas have position dots whereas the originals have clean fingerboards (my preference).

Last edited:
Several years ago he came out with a small guitar. I met him at a festival and played it and it was nice. Really nice. I asked my local uke shop if he could get one. (Hadn’t decided for sure at the festival) Next time I was in he’d talked to Pepe and he said he’d make one for $$$$! What? I quickly told him I wanted the “cheap” imported one. The real stuff takes time and cost a lot. Even if I could have played well, which I can’t, at that price I wouldn’t want to touch it. The import from Vietnam is high quality work. Just thought I’d share my experience.

Yes, exactly.

I don't associate negativity with the term "replica." To me, the term simply implies precision since it is an exact copy of something. In this case, an exact copy of Pepe's one-off custom luthier made models. I too would prefer owning the actual luthier made instrument but coughing up the 5 grand or so (and waiting 4 or 5 years) for the "real thing" makes the replica look pretty darn good. Now if Pepe would have named it "fossil" or "clone" that might been a bit negative.
Ha, ha. My thoughts, exactly and I love my Replica Uke and am glad Romero Creations are producing them.

I would consider the replica series to be both similar in superficial appearance and design to the originals but not exact clones. In other words, the replica designs seem to be as close to the originals as a production line build can muster but have obvious compromises to meet the price point. Pepe makes a big deal about use of the same reverse fan brace, Spanish foot, etc. However, unlike production line builds, each luthier made instrument is tweaked by the builder for optimal sound. He might make slight changes to the soundboard and bracing to compensate for the characteristics of a particular piece of wood. Also, the custom instruments normally have a French polish rather than the plastic based finishes used for the replica. French polish is the ultimate in acoustic tone but isn't very durable. All of mine turned to goo on the neck and other areas where I touch. The Polyester finishes, while not as open sounding or loud, can take sweat and splashes of beer without flinching. The replicas have an inlaid graphic on the head stock whereas the custom line sports a plain unadorned head stock. Finally, most of the replicas have position dots whereas the originals have clean fingerboards (my preference).

Thanks for posting this information.

I had read that the French polish was the finest finish. But you have provided a new perspective. Expensive "goo!" :p

It IS a knockoff - of a CUSTOM Romero Tenor.

I have been curious as to how accurate the copies are to the originals?

Do they have the same bracing and kerfing as Pepe's originals? Same tuners? Etc.

I have read that these ukuleles are very close to the originals in design and build.

The term "replica" has gotten pretty loose over the years. From an "exact copy" to a "model" of the original. Similar in superficial appearance only.

It's supposedly exactly the same except for the abalone rosette purling, abalone binding, and abalone logo, which the Customs lack.

The videos of the Mahogany Recreation do sound very good, and I like the 12 fret to body.

If I get back into playing more tenor one of these will be on my radar.

I, too, am interested in the Replica, but would like to know more about the intention and difference in sound/playing with the 12 fret to body vs. the 14 FTB that Ponos have. Does anyone here know how it makes a difference?

I, too, am interested in the Replica, but would like to know more about the intention and difference in sound/playing with the 12 fret to body vs. the 14 FTB that Ponos have. Does anyone here know how it makes a difference?

My collective impression across many instruments is the 12 frets to body neck design tends to a little more responsive to vibrato than the 14 and 16 fret to body models. Also, you have more room to move your picking hand around to produce different colors (from over the fingerboard mellow to bright bridge timbres). I like the 12-fret to body balance as the longer protruding necks are a little more tippy and top heavy (my GL-6 and RC Parlor are the worse in this respect). Of course if you spend a lot time playing around the or above the 12th fret, or often use a capo, a 14 or 16 fret to body design is nice. The only possible solution is to buy all three—12 fret, 14 fret and 16 fret—and you'll be ready for anything!

I had said that I would give feedback when my Replica arrived. I am nearly 2 years late, but here it goes. Build quality couldn’t be better. It is a beautiful instrument with shimmering Mahogany and I find it to be just right aesthetically. Volume, balance and clarity are all excellent for nearly any playing style. It is a very expressive instrument. I like it best with Martin M625 Polygut Premium Tenor strings and a Fremont Soloist for the 4th string. I keep it tuned down 2 steps. There is nothing about it that I would change, except maybe introducing a Baritone version.

Last edited:
LoPrinzi Tenor Compared to Romero Replica Tenor

Hmm, I wonder how the LoPrinzi all-mahogany would stack up to the all-mahogany Replica? I have a LoPrinzi mahogany FM "Custom" tenor. I definitely prefer the simpler herringbone rosette inlay with no perfling to the abalone bling of the Replica. Though I wouldn't reject a Replica just because of the bling.

The PoPrinzi tenor I have is 14 frets to the body. The body is relatively shallow, going from 2-1/2" to 2-1/4". It has an overall satin finish. It has a flatter neck compared to the Romero Tiny Tenor I have. The PoPrinzi nut is 1-1/2" wide. 1-1/8" string spacing. I suspect that the quality between the two will be similar, but the sound very different, due to the differences in the bracing and shapes.

I don't know the particulars for the Replica.

Anybody have both a LoPrinzi and a Romero Replica tenor to compare?

Top Bottom