New Ono 8-String Baritone

saltytri

Reaction score
The design brief from the owner was to build an 8-string baritone, pretty much however I thought best. This lead to a bubinga body with a torrefied Sitka spruce top, finished with Tru-Oil. The ebony fret board is radiused and features pocket slots cut with CNC so that the tang ends don't show. The build is a bit heavier in places to accommodate the increased string tension. The other side of that coin is that there is a lot of power from all those strings and the result is surprising volume, sustain and a rich resonance. Those are qualities that I find attractive in any baritone and the 8-string configuration has them in spades. A nice touch is the K&K Aloha Twin pickup, which works very well with the carbon bridge plate.

40439603752_07a5ce5520_b.jpg

40439609562_947e70cb7a_b.jpg

40439606562_4cbaa969b6_b.jpg

40439601682_ef1412a446_b.jpg
[/url][

Last edited:
Wow. Looking forward to a sound sample on that one. :drool:

What's the tuning and strings?

Really wonderful looking. But you mention bubinga and you don't show the back............that is just plain cruel.;)

Really wonderful looking. But you mention bubinga and you don't show the back............that is just plain cruel.;)

I really did try to get a good shot of the back but the figure didn't show up at all. It does have some nice beeswing in it.

Last edited:
Wow. Looking forward to a sound sample on that one. :drool:

What's the tuning and strings?

It's in G with low D. The strings are a Frankenset with TI 35 and 30 wound basses and the rest are Southcoast fluorocarbons. In truth, this set may not be a whole lot different from the Southcoast HML-WB set and that would have been an easier solution but I've been itching to try the Tis on a baritone.

so all doubles? D3 D3 G3 G3 B3 B3 E4 E4 ? I bet it's a cannon!

Also, about the TI D/G - how would you describe the tension (high, medium, low)? And what's the scale length? Really, I just need to know how you think they'd work on 19" scale. ;-)

Last edited:
so all doubles? D3 D3 G3 G3 B3 B3 E4 E4 ? I bet it's a cannon!

Also, about the TI D/G - how would you describe the tension (high, medium, low)? And what's the scale length? Really, I just need to know how you think they'd work on 19" scale. ;-)

The 3rd and 4th are octave pairs: D3 D4 and G3 G4. 1st and 2nd are unison pairs: B3 B3 E4 E4.

The tension on the TIs feels moderate and it seems reasonable to think that they would be fine on a 19" scale. You might not end up in G tuning but a small excursion from G would probably be within the range of "permissible personal preference." :)

Another beauty, David!

Incredible craftsmanship David. You make some beautiful instruments! Looking forward to a sound sample also.

Cheers,

Steve.

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, my recording equipment is primitive and I can't produce a decent sound sample. Someday!

Top Bottom