Great customer service

camperman

Reaction score
I was cured of UAS a long time ago and it's a long time since I bought a uke and indeed cleared out a lot of my surplus ukes. But I'd spotted the Eddy Moon EF Moon uke when Barry Maz reviewed it on Got A Ukulele. Maybe my UAS had returned but I really wanted to own one just because it was different and as it turned out Barry's review was very favourable but the uke wasn't available in the UK.
So I mailed Eddy Finn in USA to ask if the item would ever be available in the UK? Next day I received a mail from USA saying they'd passed my inquiry to the UK distributor. A few hours later the UK distributor mailed me to offer help and I replied. UK distributor mailed me back with details of a UK stockist they'd passed my inquiry on to and by the time I'd finished reading that mail the stockist had also been in touch. I called the stockist who told me everything had been arranged and my uke should arrive with him on Thursday. I was gobsmacked! The whole organisation treated me like I was the most important customer in the world. Today will be 3 working days since my original inquiry. I had another call this afternoon to tell me that the uke had arrived today, 2 days earlier than expected and will be dispatched to me tomorrow making me the first UK customer of this particular uke.
I can't tell you how impressed I am by the all out customer service and great communication from the entire supply network.
So it's a big heads up to Grant Deaton at Eddy Finn, UK Distributor Alex Fogel and Alan Plummer at Apex Music. I've never owned an Eddy Finn uke before and I haven't received this one yet but I can certainly say that the customer service I've received is outstanding.

Last edited:
I love a story with a happy ending. Sounds great (pun intended).

Will you tell your impressions once you receive the instrument?

Thanks for sharing the story.

I love a story with a happy ending. Sounds great (pun intended).

Will you tell your impressions once you receive the instrument?

Thanks for sharing the story.

Certainly will but it won't be a patch on Barry's review

After a couple of days delay due to severe weather my new Eddy Finn EF Moon uke arrived last week.
The UK Distributors tell me I'm the first UK customer to buy one of these.
So after a short period of ownership, how does it stand up?

I like the shape and the etched image and that's mainly why I wanted one and Barry's review had been very favourable as far as sound quality goes. I can say that this uke is ok now but it wasn't when it arrived. Because Eddy Finn themselves as well as UK distributor and dealer outlet had all worked so well together to get me this uke I was willing to put up with a few faults in order to make the most of this unusual little uke turn into a good one.
Out of the box the action particularly at the nut was too high for my taste and it was sending the intonation off when fretted. I also wasn't keen on the overall sound. It was certainly quite loud but I felt it was worth trying different strings. I adjusted the nut slots and saddle height and I now have a uke with spot on intonation on every fret up to the 12th and a string height of 2.25mm at the 12th fret. This is a shade lower than I prefer but it's the trade off for getting the intonation spot on.
Then it was time to try some other strings. I had a few different sets to hand so I swapped out the Aquila Super Nylguts that it arrived with and tried. Aquila Nylyguts, Aquila Lava, Living Water and Worth Clear. To my tatse I liked the Worth Clears best and settled with them. I thought the large volume of the body might lend itself to a low G and I tried a Fremont Blackline, Worth Clear and a Fremont Soloist wound and although I settled on the Soloist I found any of the low G strings were more than good without the boomy dominance that can often happen on a short scale uke.
I think for many people buying a new uke, although the strings will get tuned and tightened on a regular basis the tuning machines won't get excessively worked, but when several sets of strings need to be changed to be tried a few weak spots might show up. I found after the first couple of string changes one of the tuners started to get stiff and by the third change some of the teeth fell off the little brass wheel. Not good :(. In fairness they're budget tuners but I wouldn't have expected this sort of break so I'll put it down to a fault in the casting of the brass wheel. So the eagle eyed among you might have noticed my uke has black buttons on the tuners instead of the cream ones supplied and this is due to me swapping them for a set I already had.
The bridge and the fretboard were very pale and dry and that was easily sorted with an application of natural oil while the strings were off. Interestingly the bridge is already pre-drilled for an under saddle pickup but I think this is likely because it's a generic part used on other ukes.
Now that it plays and sounds to my preference I really like this little uke. It's fun and it's different. It has quite a loud full sound and it's very comfortable to play.
The sides of the body are made from one piece of laminated wood and there is no end block at the bottom of the body so I will need to have a think about this so I can fit a strap button and I think I'll probably glue an end block in place.
With this uke being an unusual size and shape it's difficult to find a suitable gig bag. At 10 1/4 across the body it's about the same width as a baritone uke so it won't even fit in a tenor bag. The suppliers recommend a mandolin bag which should be a reasonable fit with a little excess space at the headstock end, but for now I think I'll just pop it in my backpack when I take it anywhere.
Now I have the uke set up and sounding to my preference it's a lot of fun. I really like it and it'll more than likely live in my campervan most of the time

IMG_20180310_175836 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom