Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ohana TK-35, Kala SMHT, or Pono AT/MT?

Also, why is everything finished in gloss now a days?? There are a number of ukes that I found would fit every need except a satin finish. Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by twokatmew View Post
    No, Kalas have flat fretboards. Frets at an angle? I'm having trouble picturing that.
    This is the brand they hand, Emerald Bay. It’s “fanned frets”: https://reverb.com/item/5298893-emer...-tenor-ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by NoyBoy98 View Post
    This is the brand they hand, Emerald Bay. It’s “fanned frets”: https://reverb.com/item/5298893-emer...-tenor-ukulele
    Wow. I've never seen anything like that before. Don't think I'd like it.
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

From all I know, Pono is the only non-custom manufacturer to offer a radius fretboard. Closest to what you are describing is the AT-CR: That one has a radius fretboard and used to come with a satin finish (although I think they have changed to gloss more recently).

My Pono AT is not heavy at all, by the way. Out of my 10+ tenors, only one is lighter, and that is a Kanilea with an oil rubbed satin finish, well known to be the lightest build of all. The Kanilea is 560 gr (1.26 pounds), the Pono 630 gr (1.39 pounds); that is only about 10% more and precisely the weight of the truss rod that Pono has and that will ensure playability for years to come.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Quote Originally Posted by NoyBoy98 View Post
    Also, why is everything finished in gloss now a days?? There are a number of ukes that I found would fit every need except a satin finish. Ugh...
    I used to be a satin only person until I got my Pono (mahog deluxe with spruce top). The gloss finish on the body (neck is satin) should not be equated with the thicker, almost plastic seeming gloss you sometimes get on cheaper instruments. This finish has convinced me that gloss can be really nice when applied thinly and properly. I would get gloss again after experiencing this.

Just an update, I went with the Pono AT. I actually had my mind made up to buy it earlier this week, but then Pono went and released a new 2018 MGT, so I went back and forth on sound samples over those two. Decided on the AT because the sound fits right in the middle between the MT and MGT, making it more versatile IMO.

Now the dreaded wait time...

Congrats, I think you made a great choice. The AT is right up there with the best.

Congrats! I'll look forward to reading your NUD.
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

I'm interested in hearing your experience with the Pono AT because I am considering one along with a Pono MGCP. None of our local shops carry the Pono or Ohana lines, but the few Lanika'i and Cordoba models I tested didn't live up to their $250-$300 price tag. If I want one I'll have to take the risk of ordering online.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    I'm interested in hearing your experience with the Pono AT because I am considering one along with a Pono MGCP. None of our local shops carry the Pono or Ohana lines, but the few Lanika'i and Cordoba models I tested didn't live up to their $250-$300 price tag. If I want one I'll have to take the risk of ordering online.
    It will be a couple of weeks before it ships due to HMS’ setup process, but I plan to do a review and comparison to my $190 Kala Solid Spruce top. Stay tuned.

Thread Information