Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nails

I think the Aloha spirit is still here, for the most part. Like anywhere, there's sometimes a skunk at the picnic. BTW, referencing 'aspie' is surely not the Aloha spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by lifereinspired View Post
    Hi!

I'm wondering how folks here keep their nails. I've seen recommendations for keeping the fretting hand very short, others that says keep the strumming hand's nails short, further opinions that strumming nails don' t have to be short, some who use long nails on their strumming hand for strumming and picking, etc. I was watching a video of Grace Vanderwaal showing how to play one of her songs and noticed when they did close up images of her fretting hand, she actually has fairly long nails on that hand (not saying she's the final word on such things and she didn't talk about it at all, but I noticed at as simply another uke player).

What works well for you and why? I've been keeping my fret hand nails short right now but I'm not sure at all about the strumming hand. I haven't yet decided for sure on what type of strum is most comfortable for me yet and I know even less hpw how using my nails affect that. I'd love to hear what works for you and why.

Thanks so much!
    For me, the fretting hand fingernails must be short, otherwise it can hamper clean fretting & clean notes. For the picking hand I keep my fingernails long enough to pluck the notes, and most importantly, to achieve the tone I'm looking for.
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

I have a problem with fingernails: I can't keep them for any length of time. So, for me, right hand strums and picks are always with a fleshy pad. It works out OK as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I think the Aloha spirit is still here, for the most part. Like anywhere, there's sometimes a skunk at the picnic. BTW, referencing 'aspie' is surely not the Aloha spirit.
    I never claimed to be full of "Aloha Spirit" and never even knew it was a thing here until it got brought up in this conversation. I am truly curious if that's something people aim for here.

(no strike-through text) resolved
    Last edited by kitsunegarcia; 03-03-2018 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Resolved in PM
    My current stable:

(Son of Snaggletooth) Romero Creations Tiny Tenor Spruce & Rosewood
    (Coco) Hanknn Koa Concert
    (Spruce Bringsteen) Burks Spruce Soprano
    (bootleg) aNueNue pineapple Concert
    (Toothless) IZ thinbody soprano w/ pickup

Thread Information