Thread: NUD: Mya-moe baritone, bear claw spruce & rosewood

Default NUD: Mya-moe baritone, bear claw spruce & rosewood

After luckily getting a build slot from Mya-moe in November 2016, I've just received my bear claw spruce & rosewood baritone (#2441) today (Feb 28, 2018). Patience has been rewarded. It's awesome. Many use this expression, but it certainly applies here.

The baritone feels, plays, sounds superb! Let me not forget to mention how great it looks and the flawless build. Setup is super. It's very easy to fret and no buzzes. Intonation is accurate. The volume and warmth are exceptional. I've got a few other outstanding baritones, but this stands out. I'm very pleased with my two upgrades 1)bear claw spruce top and 2) slotted headstock with Schertler tuners. Those are smooth tuners.

The oil finish gives a fast neck, and a good feel to the instrument. Well done!

Nearly forgot to mention the beautiful bloodwood binding and rosette on the body. The radiused ebony fretboard is bound with ebony.

Sad to see Mya-moe winding down. Hope to see Aaron's offering of ukes when gets into full swing at Beansprout Musical Instruments.

While this instrument is still opening up and the strings are still settling in, it sounds terrific. Have a listen: https://app.box.com/s/qlo358excpjruebax5wbqdl3kkm3mzpe

Here's a few pics: album at Flickr

P1080753 by , on Flickr
    P1080748 by , on Flickr
    P1080749 by , on Flickr
    P1080757 by , on Flickr
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Great pictures and sound sample. They really are a wonderful instrument and even with the spruce top they are suprisingly warm and naturally resonant. As you know I own a Mya Moe baritone with bearclaw sitka top and cocobolo back and sides, very similar to yours and I love it.

Congratulations Hodge on being smart enough to place your order in time to have Mya Moe make you a real keeper.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Sweet looking Mya Moe Baritone Hodge. Dave's sounds super, so I am sure yours will bring you many years of enjoyment.
    How bad is your UAS?

Nice! Would not have guesssed spruce from the sound sample. very warm indeed.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Really nice, Hodge. Sounds fantastic! I often feel baritone's sound boomy when strummed, not this one at all!

Is the scale "standard" 20" or is it 19"?
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Congratulations Hodge!
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Thanks guys. I am very happy with this Mya-moe baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie View Post
    Really nice, Hodge. Sounds fantastic! I often feel baritone's sound boomy when strummed, not this one at all!

Is the scale "standard" 20" or is it 19"?
    This is a 20" scale. I believe the Mya-moe strings are a little higher tension and balance out the baritone very well. They put the baritone string sets together themselves; not sure who the manufacturer is, but I'd guess D'addario.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Congratulations on this great instrument.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Thread Information