Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted - v. small child's uke (dwarfism)

I understand that as she is only six you won't want to spend a great deal ... you could always try one of the inexpensive sopraninos - if it doesn't suit her you can always sell it on.

I think the Caramel is out of stock at the moment, but Kaka/Enya do a cute one - no idea about nut width though.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 09.52.12.jpg

I have seen a video or two of people with small hands using an alternate method of fretting.

Alternate_Fretting.jpg
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

loogs are 3-stringers. very narrow neck. the loog mini is about the same size as a uke

lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    loogs are 3-stringers. very narrow neck. the loog mini is about the same size as a uke

WANT!!!!!!!!!! why I have never heard of these????

Also check out the Merlin Seagull - it’s in open dulcimer tuning so it’s impossible to play a wrong note.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

There were some threads here a year or two ago around Christmas time about "First Act" and themed ukes with Disney and other characters on the soundboards. IIRC, some of the seaonistas have used them in their videos, and have collected them as well as given them as gifts to children and grandchildren. The First Act ukuleles I've seen are sturdy plastic bodies with a thin nut width. The themed ones are some type of laminated wood product. According to the threads and in the videos the sound is pretty good, especially after changing out the factory strings. You might want to take your daughter to Toys R Us or Walmart to see what they have and let her check out the nut width, ease of fretting and see if she takes a liking to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buntoni View Post
    My perfect 6 year old girl (with dwarfism) is constantly picking up my soprano but it is too big, especially the nut width. Does anyone have a small uke or can advise on an inexpensive one available to buy new?

Thanks,

Buntoni
    Though I can’t readily locate the thread a short while back someone posted about a child’s type toy Uke that they had turned into a playable instrument. It didn’t sound fantastic (they provided a Vidoe), they did had to do some minor modifications and they had to change the strings too but they did get a useful item at the end.

This isn’t the exact same Uke they used but is similar: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Ukul...EAAOSwImlamqCp
    I believe that this one has a zero fret and it looks like the distance between the zero feet and the twelfth is half the scale length (watch out for that one) so maybe you could take a similar route.

For what it’s worth I’ve bought my children both expensive toys and cheap toys in the past. They have loved them with no regard to price and the toys just been avenues down which their thoughts and imagination could roam and develope. At one point I literally gave them a large cardboard box and they had hours of fun in their (imaginary) boat and aeroplane, come to think of it they also used it as a TV or ‘theatre’ that us parents had to watch whilst they sung (badly, as kids do - but more importantly they were happy) to their audience. By all means buy something special, expensive and high quality for your child but please do remember that in this case the link between what it cost you and how much they will use and enjoy it is (in my experience) very weak.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 03-03-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iulia View Post
    WANT!!!!!!!!!! why I have never heard of these????
    maybe the universe thinks we are already having way too much fun with ukuleles, and if we got our hands on loogs as well, we'd just explode with music-making madness?
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    maybe the universe thinks we are already having way too much fun with ukuleles, and if we got our hands on loogs as well, we'd just explode with music-making madness?
    yeah I'm SO tempted to get one, but as I'm just getting to grips with the ukulele fear it would just confuse me. I am actively looking for an appropriate child to buy for :-)

Thread Information