Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oasis OH-18 humidifier question.

Default Oasis OH-18 humidifier question.

I've been using my Oasis OH-18 humidifier the conventional way - in the sound hole - but the last couple of times I've checked it, the humidity has been a bit high inside the body. (I keep a hygrometer inside the body of the uke as well and the readings have been 58-59% rh) To my ears, the higher relative humidity has effected the sound in a negative way so I removed the humidifier from the sound hole and placed it in the neck space of the case and as a result, the rh has dropped down to 43-45% and to my ears, the uke sounds better/normal.

Should I be concerned about the Oasis humidifier in the neck space when the side of the humidifier is in contact with the neck of the ukulele? I'm a bit concerned that it might possibly effect the finish but maybe I'm worried about nothing. What do you think?
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

As far as I have been informed, a relative humidity of between 40% and 60% should have little effect... this is the humidity level you aim for.

Dunno about the neck of your uke being damaged by the Oasis, though. You can be our guinea pig

Between the two rh ranges I noted in the first post, I could tell the difference in sound. At the higher rh readings, it didn't really sound bad but it sounded a bit "mushy" to me. At the lower rh readings it sounded more distinct and crisp.

As far as the humidifier being in contact with the neck of the uke, I don't know if I should be concerned or not. If you feel the sides of the Oasis humidifier it feels dry but I've seen where clear finishes on wood have become kind of cloudy white and opaque when they've had prolonged exposure to moisture.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I keep mine in the box compartment under the neck in my tenor case and in the headstock space of my concert and soprano (all KoAlohas). I didn’t like dinkin’ with that string hanger every time I wanted to grab and play. I figure as long as it’s in there somewhere it’s doing its job. Plus, I had horrible dreams of that thing leaking inside my ukulele.
    KoAloha Concert
    Concert Pineapple Flea
    Soprano Uke Can Change the World Flea
    Lanikai LU-21
    Kala Mighty Uke Concert
    KoAloha Tenor

I received an Oasis OH-18 humidifier with a recent uke purchase. I tried it once & ditched it. Too fussy putting it on the strings in the sound hole for me. The second time I used it, it fell inside the uke and was a pain to get out. I much prefer the Music Nomad Humilele. It also hangs from the strings in the sound hole, but is very easy to put on & off. I live in a dry climate with forced air heat in the winter & AC in the summer. I can get by with just the Humilele in the summer, but have to add a second humidifier in the winter to get to 40%. I keep a Planet Waves small instrument humidifier under the neck area in addition to the Humilele. The Humilele gets re-wetted with distilled water once a week, and the Planet Waves sponges can go 2 weeks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-M...ele+humidifier
    https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...ves+humidifier
    My ukulele family.....
    Imua iSN soprano
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I received an Oasis OH-18 humidifier with a recent uke purchase. I tried it once & ditched it. Too fussy putting it on the strings in the sound hole for me. The second time I used it, it fell inside the uke and was a pain to get out. I much prefer the Music Nomad Humilele. It also hangs from the strings in the sound hole, but is very easy to put on & off. I live in a dry climate with forced air heat in the winter & AC in the summer. I can get by with just the Humilele in the summer, but have to add a second humidifier in the winter to get to 40%. I keep a Planet Waves small instrument humidifier under the neck area in addition to the Humilele. The Humilele gets re-wetted with distilled water once a week, and the Planet Waves sponges can go 2 weeks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-M...ele+humidifier
    https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...ves+humidifier
    I did the same with my OH-18. The string clip doesn't hold very tight, so the humidifier tipped at an angle and rested against the back of the ukulele. It made me really nervous. I next tried the Boveda two-way humidification kit and like that much better. No more nightmares about potentially soggy ukes!
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

Quote Originally Posted by twokatmew View Post
    I did the same with my OH-18. The string clip doesn't hold very tight, so the humidifier tipped at an angle and rested against the back of the ukulele. It made me really nervous. I next tried the Boveda two-way humidification kit and like that much better. No more nightmares about potentially soggy ukes!
    I too use the Boveda kit. I got the starter kit that came with two microfiber pouches. One goes under the headstock and the second I slide over the sound hole, under the strings. I figure that way if the wood inside the uke needs moisture it will pull it from the pack (or vice versa with the excess moisture).
    Main players:

Soprano: Kiwaya KS-1 | Van Pelt sinker redwood/claro walnut

Concert: Collings UC2 | Collings UC2K | Talsma Style 3 | 16" Ono | Ono Pineapple

Tenor: Collings UT3SMB

Baritone: LoPrinzi

I've never had an issue with Oasis (have six). Easy enough to get in and out - spread strings with left hand while grasping plastic tab with right hand and with a quick twist it's out. Reverse the process to put it back in.

been using an oasis for 4+ years hanging on the strings, no problems, just fill it weekly. Easy enough to get in and out...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Thanks Raftergirl for the tip on the Humilele. Just bought one. Just started using it. Much better than the Oasis for me because it stays in place when I carry it in the hard case. The Oasis works well in most ways except, as others have said, it falls through the strings into the sound hole when moved about in a case. The Humilele is also easier to get out when you want to remove it. Like you, I use a Planet Waves under the neck when I need additional humidity. I have had one Oasis leak. It happened outside the uke so no harm but that really had me looking for something else.
    Last edited by flailingfingers; 03-05-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Thread Information