Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oasis OH-18 humidifier question.

Quote Originally Posted by flailingfingers View Post
    Thanks Raftergirl for the tip on the Humilele. Just bought one. Just started using it. Much better than the Oasis for me because it stays in place when I carry it in the hard case. The Oasis works well in most ways except, as others have said, it falls through the strings into the sound hole when moved about in a case. The Humilele is also easier to get out when you want to remove it. Like you, I use a Planet Waves under the neck when I need additional humidity. I have had one Oasis leak. It happened outside the uke so no harm but that really had me looking for something else.
    Youíre welcome. I keep my ukes in their hard cases in my office. They are lined up, leaning against a dresser in an upright / angled position. The Humileles donít move at all in that position. I donít think the Oasis work as well in an upright position.

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    You’re welcome. I keep my ukes in their hard cases in my office. They are lined up, leaning against a dresser in an upright / angled position. The Humileles don’t move at all in that position. I don’t think the Oasis work as well in an upright position.
    In my experience the Oasis only stays in place when the case is flat. That's it. Carrying the case by the side handle, the only handle on the case, causes the Oasis to drop into the sound hole.
    Last edited by flailingfingers; 03-06-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flailingfingers View Post
    In my experience the Oasis only stays in place when the case is flat. That's it. Carrying the case by the side handle, the only handle on the case, cases the Oasis to drop into the sound hole.
    I carry mine around a couple times a week to jams and have never had a problem...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

I use the Oasis because that is what Mainland sells and I ordered one when I bought my ukulele from them. I only use it if he relative humidity gets below 40% and stays there for a while, which isn't that often. I just take the Oasis out and leave it at home if I'm going somewhere to play. I can see how it might come loose and rattle around if it gets inside. I don't think that my uke is going to dry out and shrivel up over the course of a night out on the town. Or even a weekend for that matter.
    Last edited by Rllink; 03-06-2018 at 05:19 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I use the Oasis because that is what Mainland sells and I ordered one when I bought my ukulele from them. I only use it if he relative humidity gets below 40% and stays there for a while, which isn't that often. I just take the Oasis out and leave it at home if I'm going somewhere to play. I can see how it might come loose and rattle around if it gets inside. I don't think that my uke is going to dry out and shrivel up over the course of a night out on the town. Or even a weekend for that matter.
    In my case, it's when I travel by plane or car. Then I am taking the uke into a hotel then back to the car, etc. It can be for days so I want to leave the humidifier in place especially for 8 hours in the car and then again in the hotel room. When I'm just going to a gig somewhere local I also leave the humidifier at home. Bottom line for me: If the Humilele works in all situations and the Oasis doesn't, why not just use the Humilele?

The Humilele dries out a lot faster so it requires more attention and maintenance. This thread has strayed from the point asked about in the original question. Is it safe to the finish of the ukulele if the Oasis humidifier is stored in the neck space and the side of the humidifier is physically touching the neck of the ukulele?
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    The Humilele dries out a lot faster so it requires more attention and maintenance. This thread has strayed from the point asked about in the original question. Is it safe to the finish of the ukulele if the Oasis humidifier is stored in the neck space and the side of the humidifier is physically touching the neck of the ukulele?
    I agree with the observation of the Humilele drying out faster.
    I wouldn't recommend letting the wood of the uke touch the Oasis. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Between the two rh ranges I noted in the first post, I could tell the difference in sound
    You have great ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    You have great ears!
    A friend of mine once said her ukulele sounds best right before it explodes. (from dryness)
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    You have great ears!
    I don't know about that! Maybe it's just characteristic of this specific uke when it reaches higher humidity levels but I could tell the difference from how it normally sounds. Some sources say humidity levels should be in the range of 45-55%. If that's the case then my uke would have be a bit over-humidified. Other resources say a range of 40-60% and in that case I would have been within the desired range. Maybe my ear prefers or is used to a "drier" sound. At the higher humidity level it didn't sound bad but to my ear, it sounded a bit mushy or wobbly. (If that description makes any sense! )
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Thread Information