What happened to the Bad Boys here?

I'm in favor of booting bad boys. I spend a lot of time on another forum (not uke), and some of the comments are truly vicious. Those bad boys have caused many people to leave that forum. I'm glad to see that this is a civilized forum.

...I recommend Booli doesn't as they are not very complementary about him...

Thanks for the warning Geoff. It's a little late though, since I already saw those comments.

As expected they have to talk about me because I am not willing to lay down and be ridiculed by bullies.

Bullies, who are really cowards, and must have really small lives to worry about things I say on UU.

I am nobody, so for them to actually care, and write about it, proves my point about misanthropy being a popular habit over there.

One person, most recently, and specifically seems to take pleasure in ridiculing me for liking Fluke and Flea ukes, as well as commenting that I have ~6300 posts to UU, and to

'Get a life, or get a girlfriend.'

(verbatim quote)^

I was going to take a screen capture and share it, just in case these people decide to retract/delete their comments and try to make me look like a liar, but really, those that know me well enough will realize that I dont have to justify truth, as it is self-evident.

I just dont feel I need to spend the time to shame others. I will not stoop down to their level.

There is a saying that "if you lay down with swine, you will get covered in slop", so that game is not for me.

That same person who commented on my ~6300 posts to UU, whom I'll not dignify by name, also is a member here on UU. I guess malicious ignorance is also a habit enjoyed there as well.

My post count is high because I always try to CONTRIBUTE to the UU community in a meaningful way to help others. I dont have any interest in engaging with such chaff as I've seen over there.

Apparently they resent that, along with the basic human courtesy we use in the tone of communications here. Comparisons to The Truman Show and calling UU a 'saccharine' envirnoment.

If I wanted to discuss politics, there's plenty of other places for that online. I come to UU to discuss ukulele, music and planning meeting other UU members in real life.

I have in fact made many friends her eon UU that I've not only met in real life, but also become close friends with and see and talk to on a regular basis, so there is this false perception that the other place is the only one connecting people in the real world. THose connections are NOT unique to that other place.

If I wanted to trade jabs and immerse myself in pub humor, there are plenty of sanguine places for that as well, and it's all fun and game until someone loses an eye.

The point is, I dont engage in such behavior, not online and not in real life.

UU is not a place represented by hostility, sarcasm, and vulgar conversation. Other online forums are, but the other place has a real problem with the environment here on UU and they dont like it.

This I have observed well.

They also have a thread there about UU being offine or having formatting issues, and aside from general concern about accessing the site, there are also a handful of folks that waste no time in taking jabs at UU and UU members, again calling us saccharine.

I just dont get it. There is enoug tragedy and misery in the world already, so why conjure up even more?

Maybe it is so easy to hide behind a keyboard that some folks think that there are no consequences?

Well, karma is a bitch, and she bites and draws blood when she comes for her pound of flesh.

I myself, dont have to do anything, what goes around comes around.

I prefer to live by the standard of treating other folks how I would like to be treated, and have been very successful professionally, personally and socially with this practice.

It is sad that there are groups of people in the world who have nothing better to do than to condescend and fester in a pile of their own resentment and self-loathing.

But, hey, who am I to judge? To each his/her own.

Now that I've posted this here, I fully expect someone to copy and past all of this text over on that forum (true to form, just like they did before), and feed the troll-machine that wants to demonize me, and condescend on UU. Their level of vitriol is amazing to see.

Well, have at it folks. Enjoy yourself!

Over here at UU, we certainly always will be having a good 'ole syrupy-sweet time being nice to each other.

Booli, for someone who claims not to bothered by adverse comments, you sure have a lot say in refuting them, and go to great lengths to state that you are above such things. As I was the one who made the "saccharine" and "Truman Show" comments, I suppose I'd better respond. I'm surprised that Booli finds this so offensive. It was not meant to be insulting. It merely points out cultural differences displayed by the two forums in question. As it happens, I use both forums, and find both of them interesting and valuable. I have not said anything about UU that I would not repeat in a face to a face to face discussion. Neither do I hide behind the keyboard. I use my real name on Ukulele Cosmos, and frequently sign my name to my posts on UU.

Booli, I would like to meet you in person. I feel sure we would find we have much more in common than whatever divides us. I'll buy the first round.

John Colter.

"Festering in a pile of their own resentment, tragedy and misery"? That's a bit strong for a simple discussion of forum styles, isn't it?

I've said enough here in this thread, and more than I ever wanted to in the first place.

After I post this comment, I'm leaving this thread, as I've got nothing to prove, nor need to justify what I said.

The truth exist in spite of me, those who want to see it can find it easily enough.

I'm not angry, not in the least, disappointed maybe, but I'm just going to live my life.

I prefer to focus my energy elsewhere.

Maybe I need to learn to not expect the best of people is all, since I am usually disappointed if I go down that path.

Seems that it's better to expect nothing, like in Buddhism.

Please carry on with out me here in this thread.

...Being a bad azz ukulele player is like being in a moped gang. There is just nothing bad azz about it.

My favorite line in this whole thread. Booli is right about being cowards. I'm not saying that there is not anyone out there that can't take their uke down a dark alley, but I suspect that the typical ukulele player regardless of ability doesn't fit in that category. I mean we are still talking about the ukulele.

I've been on different forums and the ones that are just self serving I drop. And I think that is what comes into play in this discussion. I don't know anything about Cosmos, so I don't want to talk out of turn. But it seems to appeal to a certain group of people that have a similar outlook on life and how to live it. In that sense it is great. But the idea that anyone else's view of how life should be lived is somehow not real is truly rubbish. Lest I remind them... There are these islands in the Pacific that probably have a bit more credibility on how to approach the instrument as far being real people. I don't try to school Canadians on hockey. But you do represent a segment of ukulele players, that might be big fish small pond, but regardless it will always be part of the haole history on the ukulele.

John

Last edited:
I have enough things do in my life.. I am trying to fit in learning the uke.. the reason I like UU (and am a UU+ member) is because it is productive and there are folks with really good and deep knowledge sharing their insights.. I am all for policing bullies and cowards who do not add to the knowledge within the community and discourage meaningful exchange of information. If you want a space for bad boys to roam free, start a new forum or dedicate only one thread to yourself..

I am new to UU, and have no idea what "bad boys" means in terms of actual persons. I will say that I have no use for "bad boys" in the context of this thread. The internet and forums in general are populated by folks who delight in bullying and belittling others from behind the safety of their keyboards. Over the years, I have monitored a number of boards, and banished a lot of of "bad boys" to the oblivion of cyberspace.

GA

If everyone really loved the goodness and aloha spirit of the UU, this thread wouldn’t have the legs it has. High mindedness and strong desires to learn the ukulele or not, this thread is apparently very interesting—very, very interesting . . . :eek:ld:

It is not interesting.. it is concerning and at least personally I want my opinion voiced on the topic.. We do not want to see the forum ruined by a few noisy folks.

It is not interesting.. it is concerning and at least personally I want my opinion voiced on the topic.. We do not want to see the forum ruined by a few noisy folks.

There isn’t really much of a topic, and what little there is just asks where the “few noisy folks” have gone. They are —uhh— gone; I guess.

It was so long and drawn out because it was interesting—very interesting . . . :eek:ld:

Sometimes bad things need to be said

Don't miss that kind of stuff at all. A few times I was called out by a member for no good reason at all, but because I hate confrontation, I didn't respond. I believe if you don't have something good to say, don't say anything at all. One of my favorite recent songs that our group does is "Happy" by Pharrell Williams.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I strongly disagree with what you said about not ever saying anything negative. When you see something that really truly needs criticism keeping your mouth shut is doing a great disservice to all concerned.

-- Gary

Well, phoop and gnarr, the darned thing was on it’s way back to the graveyard, and, now, it’s back with us. I think the interest is pretty much wrung out of it though. :deadhorse: :eek:ld:

Oh My!

I am reading this thread, years later.

Such negativity makes me very sad.

Such a low-down, dirty shame.

I've got to say , I really miss those lefty/righty type posts that really got heated . Lots of great points of view , really good reading .

Stir things up ...... irreverent ...... negative and critical ......

What a club! How do I join?

Back in the day the moderators were pretty strict and any hint of contention was smacked down pretty quickly. The bad boys and girls were banished or moved on to greener pastures. I get the feeling now though that no one is minding the store here. I think that those of us still hanging on here have been cast adrift to make our own way. That said, I don't see the bad folk coming back to take advantage of it.. We are a pretty benign group, those of us left.

Last edited:
Top Bottom