What happened to the Bad Boys here?

As you should all know, UU is strictly a free-speech and sense-of-humour free zone. We tolerate nothing but bland, civil discourse on serious ukulele subjects.

This thread is a disgrace. It's locked and you're all banned.

Rick, I nearly fell off my chair from laughing so hard when I read your post above.

Good one brother! :rock:

As you should all know, UU is strictly a free-speech and sense-of-humour free zone. We tolerate nothing but bland, civil discourse on serious ukulele subjects.

This thread is a disgrace. It's locked and you're all banned.

VICTORY! Thank you Rick. and thank you to all the participants. Our official BANNED BAD BOY certificates are in the mail.

I agree. I come to UU for discussion of music and ukulele.

If I wanted excessive trolling, sarcasm, pub humor etc, I'd be on that 'Cosmos' forum instead.

On 'Cosmos', they all think of us here on UU as 'gentle snowflakes'.

If you want to lock horns with a 'Bad Boy', maybe Cosmos is a good place for that. Many of those folks banned from UU have taken refuge over there, and lovingly describe UU people as 'faeries' that they would like to pummel into submission and misery to be more like them.

I despise churn and friction for it's own sake, as well as conflict with folks who thrive on negativity, and like kohanmike, will usually just bow out if the person seems hell-bent on stirring things up for the sake of feeding off the negativity like a parasite.

I'm sure the moderators will agree, that kind of wasteful negativity is not welcome here on UU.

I have been a member of Cosmos for 10 years. The folks that I have met there are extremely helpful and friendly. Many I have met and become friends with. Why Booli would attack another forum is very disconcerting. There is no trolling on Cosmos, maybe some pub humor. It's more like a friendly pub. Having known many for over a decade, you become close. Folks have lost their spouses and children. I can't ever recall disparaging comments made about UU on Cosmos. Talking about negativity Booli, I guess you didn't read your own post. You said, “folks banned from UU have taken refuge on Cosmos, and lovingly describe UU people as 'faeries' that they would like to pummel into submission”. That is an outright lie Booli. I did a search on Cosmos for the word 'faeries'. The word faeries has only been used 4 times in the history of Cosmos and never to describe a UU member or anyone else. The word 'snowflake' has never been used on Cosmos to describe anyone ever, living or dead. I have been a member here on UU for over a decade, but I don't like the negativity and falsehoods spouted here.

I have been a member of Cosmos for 10 years. The folks that I have met there are extremely helpful and friendly. Many I have met and become friends with. Why Booli would attack another forum is very disconcerting. There is no trolling on Cosmos, maybe some pub humor. It's more like a friendly pub. Having known many for over a decade, you become close. Folks have lost their spouses and children. I can't ever recall disparaging comments made about UU on Cosmos. Talking about negativity Booli, I guess you didn't read your own post. You said, “folks banned from UU have taken refuge on Cosmos, and lovingly describe UU people as 'faeries' that they would like to pummel into submission”. That is an outright lie Booli. I did a search on Cosmos for the word 'faeries'. The word faeries has only been used 4 times in the history of Cosmos and never to describe a UU member or anyone else. The word 'snowflake' has never been used on Cosmos to describe anyone ever, living or dead. I have been a member here on UU for over a decade, but I don't like the negativity and falsehoods spouted here.

Search for 'Booli' and around the time of those posts in other threads on Comsos you will see negative references to UU members as a whole. Some of those comments are by folks who go by the same user-names here on UU.

I am surprised that this thread is resurrected now, and with your comment.

Sure, you can take offense, but you do not have all the information.

If you still cannot find those posts, then maybe they were deleted, but I did in fact see them, sure as daylight, about a yr ago when I was checking out Cosmos, and no, I did NOT sign up under 'Booli', I used a different name on there, which I'll not reveal, so do not ask.

If you and others also on Cosmos are offended by my post here on UU, then I expect now there is a thread on Cosmos talking about me again. I just dont care.

I will not engage. Not my cup of tea.

If you enjoy Cosmos, then I am happy for you.

To each his own.

I have been a member of Cosmos for 10 years.... I have been a member here on UU for over a decade, but I don't like the negativity and falsehoods spouted here.

I have no dog in this fight, but your statement about membership in UU for a decade would carry a tad bit more weight if you had more than 6 posts, including the one today, over those 10 years of dedication... lol.

John

I knew I remembered a thread on UC. Post #19 is especially heart warming unless your post was just trolling us in which case you got me.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?110581-Ukulele-Cosmos-inactive/page2 teechip.com

See you in 2028!

John

Last edited:
Maybe the bad boys got banned & took up refuge over on the Cosmos. ;)

I know I left the Cosmos because it was full of crass individuals that I would rather not associate with - & there wasn't as much uke videos either, they mainly just talked a load of crap on that forum. :(

Jeff, so much bad blood between there and here over the years.
why you choose to deny and ignore it beggars belief.
aside from that, this may just be the most pointless thread ever begun.
reading Dick's repeated well's and interesting's is enough to kill a dead person.

I am a member of both UU and UC, and have been for more years than I care to remember. The problem with Cosmos is that it has always been a non-moderated forum - well, very lightly moderated. Many individuals have seen this as an opportunity to behave badly, but only a few have ever been banned. This has driven away many prospective members, and now we are reduced to a very small active membership, most of whom have been posting for years, and many know each other personally.

Underground is much more representative of the wider ukulele world. I must confess I find it a bit saccharin, and am constantly reminded of "The Truman Show", but you only have to look at the respective membership numbers to know which is the most successful at attracting and retaining new members. It is a great resource of information, assistance and advice.

John Colter

We received a report about this thread: a complaint about " lies and disparaging comments about members of the Ukulele Cosmos Forum".

Reading through the thread again I don't really see that. While some members have been unable to locate the specific instances they say they recall, I think the link posted by 70sSanO illustrates that there has, indeed, been some hostility toward UU members. I think many of us were Cosmos members at one time and we know what we did or didn't read there.

I find the complaint in the report to have no real merit so I'm leaving this to run, but with a request that we keep it chilled.

It takes a lot to inspire outrage in me, so I'll not address your attempt at controversy but your question.
I agree UU has taken on an unfortunately warm and fuzzy spirit. Let's face it, the internet has developed a personality that attacks controversy (of even the most benign character) like a virus, and the UU is a microcosm of this larger beast. I feel for the moderators here. They have been forced by members of the community to remove controversy wherever it rears its beautiful head. I was once one of the antagonists around here, but posing unconventional or unpopular thoughts became self-destructive. Now, I visit and I feel like the atheist in the temple. It seems as though people want to hear what they want to hear and nothing else. The list of bright and valuable UU members who have clearly just given up is unfortunately long, and will likely grow.

It takes a lot to inspire outrage in me, so I'll not address your attempt at controversy but your question.
I agree UU has taken on an unfortunately warm and fuzzy spirit. Let's face it, the internet has developed a personality that attacks controversy (of even the most benign character) like a virus, and the UU is a microcosm of this larger beast. I feel for the moderators here. They have been forced by members of the community to remove controversy wherever it rears its beautiful head. I was once one of the antagonists around here, but posing unconventional or unpopular thoughts became self-destructive. Now, I visit and I feel like the atheist in the temple. It seems as though people want to hear what they want to hear and nothing else. The list of bright and valuable UU members who have clearly just given up is unfortunately long, and will likely grow.
This is actually why I keep coming back I think. It is entertaining. I come from a world of meat eaters. I do pretty well with attacking and being attacked. If I'm looking for a fight I can go to a family picnic and get attacked and called names. That's nothing to me. I like watching people tip toe around everything. Sometimes it makes me laugh at what lengths people can go to in order to avoid any controversy. And I realize that we just go over the same things all the time. Any problem that anyone has is always one of the three things; Strings, Setup, or Straps. It is so predictable. It would be nice if something new and different would come up once in a while, but seriously, when it gets right down to it, what else is there? We are talking ukuleles here. What's left? The next step is fighting over strings, setups, and straps. Honestly, coming from where I come from it wouldn't be a big step for people to start laying into each other. I could see it getting out of hand pretty easily. I could see me getting out of hand pretty easily. So I'm glad we keep this place sanguine. Like I say, if I want a fight, I'll go talk to my brother and sister.

This is actually why I keep coming back I think. It is entertaining. I come from a world of meat eaters. I do pretty well with attacking and being attacked. If I'm looking for a fight I can go to a family picnic and get attacked and called names. That's nothing to me. I like watching people tip toe around everything. Sometimes it makes me laugh at what lengths people can go to in order to avoid any controversy. And I realize that we just go over the same things all the time. Any problem that anyone has is always one of the three things; Strings, Setup, or Straps. It is so predictable. It would be nice if something new and different would come up once in a while, but seriously, when it gets right down to it, what else is there? We are talking ukuleles here. What's left? The next step is fighting over strings, setups, and straps. Honestly, coming from where I come from it wouldn't be a big step for people to start laying into each other. I could see it getting out of hand pretty easily. I could see me getting out of hand pretty easily. So I'm glad we keep this place sanguine. Like I say, if I want a fight, I'll go talk to my brother and sister.

You forgot size.

Jeff, so much bad blood between there and here over the years.
why you choose to deny and ignore it beggars belief.
aside from that, this may just be the most pointless thread ever begun.
reading Dick's repeated well's and interesting's is enough to kill a dead person.

The thread is pointless as you say, but very interesting—very, very interesting . . . :eek:ld:

I for one am happy with the atmosphere of UU. It is nice to come to a forum where people are respectful to each other, even when it takes a little effort. It is unfortunate that we live in a world that thrives on controversy and confrontation. If anyone is missing that spirit and feels neglected, there are comment sections on many internet news sites that will probably meet your hopes and dreams for confrontation. Internet confrontation is easy. Showing some restraint seems to be a lost virtue in a world where everyone's opinion, and supporting ones, are the only ones that count.

I marvel at the UU NUD posts and the support people give others who are just excited to show it off. It doesn't matter if it is a starter ukulele or some high end custom built, people still comment. UU kind of reflects what attracts most people to the ukulele. It is an unobtrusive and joyful instrument.

John

I for one am happy with the atmosphere of UU. It is nice to come to a forum where people are respectful to each other, even when it takes a little effort. It is unfortunate that we live in a world that thrives on controversy and confrontation. If anyone is missing that spirit and feels neglected, there are comment sections on many internet news sites that will probably meet your hopes and dreams for confrontation. Internet confrontation is easy. Showing some restraint seems to be a lost virtue in a world where everyone's opinion, and supporting ones, are the only ones that count.

I marvel at the UU NUD posts and the support people give others who are just excited to show it off. It doesn't matter if it is a starter ukulele or some high end custom built, people still comment. UU kind of reflects what attracts most people to the ukulele. It is an unobtrusive and joyful instrument.

John
Haha, ain't it the truth about the internet. When we have family reunions my cousin waits until they are over and then sends us a group email with her opinions on everything that the rest of us were fighting about. She's avoiding the head butting. Frankly, that's why I go to them. I think that you hit the nail on the head when you describe the attraction of the ukulele as unobtrusive and joyful. Being a bad azz ukulele player is like being in a moped gang. There is just nothing bad azz about it. That is what I love about the instrument. There is nothing to prove. You just play it and have fun.

I don't know about them mixing politics with uke, when I was on there, they were just a bunch of foul mouthed people with loads of crass comments - certainly not what I want from a uke forum.

Where as, on here, I have learned to, & enjoyed, playing my ukes, in a civil & friendly environment, such a nice place to spend some time.

"A bunch of foul mouthed people with loads of crass comments" Yes, I well remember that era. Things are a lot more savoury, nowadays.

If you are a Cosmos member take a look, oddly enough there's a thread discussing UU. I recommend Booli doesn't as they are not very complementary about him. Otherwise the line is they recognise that UU has a different style and the two forums complement each other.

I've noticed the snarkiness, sometimes but I'm British so it doesn't really bother me. Also I've been a member of Mudcat Cafe for over 10 years and things can get really heated there - it puts Cosmos in the shade in that respect but if you can ignore that and are prepared to do some sifting, there's a mountain of knowledge available. I don't often go into Cosmos but I suspect it's the same.

Top Bottom