Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fishing line

Who cares what they are really? As long as they play ok. Also, don't Aquila strings come from Italy? Surely you would've bought 100 sets from Italy rather than Taiwan?
    Last edited by The Pashmeister; 03-09-2018 at 02:26 AM.

All the Fluorocarbon leaders arrived today I've got 30,40,50,60, & 80 LB so tomorrow i'll do a bit of experimenting and let you know what I think of e'm.

I will be intrigued by your results. There is an old saying that fishing gear is made to catch fishermen, not fish. How that applies to ukulele strings I am not sure because it is really hard to catch fish with a ukulele. On a more serious note, the reviews of fluorocarbon line done by technically minded enthusiasts are very different from the ones paid for by the manufacturer and they are very different again from what the marketing people say. For example, the two big selling points for fluorocarbon fishing line, lower stretch and superior knot strength than nylon appear to be worse than nylon in tests.
    https://swiftflyfishing.com/blogs/ne...-fluoro-debate
    Applying the science in that article the extra weight in fluorocarbon may help drive the soundboard longer for better sustain but the lower elasticity may lead to fluorocarbon strings needing to be replaced more often.
    Throw in variables like tempering rates and hardening additives making different nylon lines different and subjective experience of tone and the fact different tone fits different music and you get no definitive answer anyway. Hopefully with Ken involved we should at least get an honest bloke's opinion and perhaps a measurement or two and less marketing drivel.

I strung up a soprano with Fluorocarbon 30lb G, 60lb C, 40lb E, 30lb A...It plays ok volume OK but not as responsive as the Aquilas and a bit thin sounding...Then I got out the micrometer and measured the Aquila's then picked the nearest sizes in the Fluoro's and came up with G 50lb, C 80lb, E 60lb, A 40lb...This gives the Uke a bit more poke and a fatter sound and I like this better..But if I tuned the uke up to D instead of C with that setup I think it would put a lot stress on the bridge.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 03-12-2018 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks for the update Timbuck .

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I strung up a soprano with Fluorocarbon 30lb G, 60lb C, 40lb E, 30lb A...It plays ok volume OK but not as responsive as the Aquillas and a bit thin sounding...Then I got out the micrometer and measured the Aquilla's then picked the nearest sizes in the Fluoro's and came up with G 50lb, C 80lb, E 60lb, A 40lb...This gives the Uke a bit more poke and a fatter sound and I like this better..But if I tuned the uke up to D instead of C with that setup I think it would put a lot stress on the bridge.
    IIRC, as per some of the things I read about the Aquila Nylgut and SuperNylgut, those diameters were meant to closely approximate the nylon strings, so as to be easier for nylon-string players to adapt to.

The fluorocarbon strings will nearly always be thinner to achieve the same tension at pitch on account of the polymer composition of fluoro strings having a higher linear density, and this higher density (mass) allows them to be thinner.

This is important, because if you only go by diameters, the fluoro strings will typically have MORE tension than the nylon or Aquila strings of the same diameter. As you know, too much tension can be bad.

You may want to look at some of the string tension charts from D'Addario for their fluorocarbon ukulele strings found here, note that you can only see the string diameters for each set by clicking on the picture of each string pack and it is printed on the string pack:

like this:

(and click on FAMILY TENSION CHART here)
    http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFa...68&familyid=99

as well as play with their "String Tension Pro" calculator here (which unfortunately has not been updated for fluoro strings properly, since D'Addario only started to offer fluoro strings last January 2017, but you can get a chance to play with the different tensions of nylon strings as a reference):

http://stringtensionpro.com/
    Last edited by Booli; 03-11-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: fixed link & added picture
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Thats a lot of info..Thanks.

Yes! Fluorocarbon strings are thinner than most because of the higher density.
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Interesting topic - having just strung up a soprano and a concert with my usual brand of Living Water fluorocarbon strings, I am a bit underwhelmed by the C string on the soprano. LW soprano & concert sets are the same gauges for all strings, and whilst the tenor set is slightly heavier in the G and A, it uses the same 0.74mm dia for the C string. The Daddario set has the same gauges as LW for the G, E and A but a significantly heavier 0.81 mm for the C. The LW C sounds fine to me on the concert, but I think I will be experimenting with a heavier C for the Soprano.
    Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Thats a lot of info..Thanks.
    Sure thing. Happy to help!

I'm a bit of a string geek.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones