Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Default Please allow me to introduce myself...

Hello! I'm Norm. I am neither a ukulele owner or player, but I work on them, hence my presence here. I am a guitar tech/luthier with my own shop in Des Moines, IA. With the explosion of the popularity of ukes in the past few years, I'm seeing more and more of them in my shop. Right now I have three, and just finished up a couple. I do everything from routine string changes and setups to full restorations of antique instruments.

I frequent numerous guitar forums, and consider it part of my ongoing education. I learn a lot from other members and occasionally am able to share what I know with others. I look forward to participating in discussions and learning more about ukes at this forum.

...and I am seriously considering getting a uke of my own... probably a tenor, but I'll probably cheat and tune it like a guitar.

Welcome...but I thought you were going to say you're a man of wealth & fame!

No need to tune like a guitar, chord shapes are the same, just in a different key.

Welcome to UU Norm
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Welcome!
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post

No need to tune like a guitar, chord shapes are the same, just in a different key.
    Yes, - to the OP, if you put a capo on the 5th fret of your guitar and ignore the 5th & 6th strings and only play the 'bottom' four (bottom as in closest to your feet) you have a low-G or LINEAR GCEA tuned uke, and all the chord shapes are the same but different NAMES, for everything except a baritone uke.

Baritone uke is same everything as guitar but shorter scale length and also without the 5th & 6th strings, and in same key and tuning as normal EADGBE guitar, all chords are same shapes and same names, just 2 less strings.
    Last edited by Booli; 03-02-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typos
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Ditto!

Welcome to the forums!!

Welcome Norm. I played guitar for almost 50 years, then about 4 1/2 years ago I started on the ukulele. It didn't take me long at all to get uke chords, certainly my experience forming chords helped tremendously. I actually prefer high G because it sounds less like a guitar. If I want to sound like a guitar, I'll play a guitar, but since taking up the uke, I haven't touched my guitars and don't miss them at all.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Last edited by kohanmike; 03-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.

You took the words out of my mouth and beat me to the punch!

Woohoo!

I may not be wealthy or famous, but I am richly blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Yes, - to the OP, if you put a capo on the 5th fret of your guitar and ignore the 5th & 6th strings and only play the 'bottom' four (bottom as in closest to your feet) you have a low-G or LINEAR GCEA tuned uke, and all the chord shapes are the same but different NAMES, for everything except a baritone uke.

Baritone uke is same everything as guitar but shorter scale length and also without the 5th & 6th strings, and in same key and tuning as normal EADGBE guitar, all chords are same shapes and same names, just 2 less strings.
    [QUOTE=kohanmike;2046173]Welcome Norm. I played guitar for almost 50 years, then about 4 1/2 years ago I started on the ukulele. It didn't take me long at all to get uke chords, certainly my experience forming chords helped tremendously. I actually prefer high G because it sounds less like a guitar. If I want to sound like a guitar, I'll play a guitar, but since taking up the uke, I haven't touched my guitars and don't miss them at all.

One of the beauties of the uke is it's simplicity.... having to transpose chord shapes.... "well let's see.... the G chord is fingered like a D chord..." ...way to complicated for this old mind.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Thread Information