Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KMise clone of new Goldtone Plastic Banjo Uke

Default KMise clone of new Goldtone Plastic Banjo Uke

Wow, Kmise didn't waste any time getting on board with a copy of the new Goldtone plastic concert size banjo uke. Only selling clear and lime green, but this may be the first time I've seen a Chinese seller beat a U.S. importer to the market with a clone. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kmise-Banjo...EAAOSwZqZaDpoQ

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    Wow, Kmise didn't waste any time getting on board with a copy of the new Goldtone plastic concert size banjo uke. Only selling clear and lime green, but this may be the first time I've seen a Chinese seller beat a U.S. importer to the market with a clone. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kmise-Banjo...EAAOSwZqZaDpoQ
    That's just begging for some blinky-lights to be added somehow.

I wonder if the plastic rim/resonator makes a big difference to the sound, since with a banjo/lele most of the sounds seems to come from the drum head itself.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Personally getting really really tired of Kmise riding roughshod over other makers. They also copied the aNueNue U900 uke (calling it a U800 or something) and have copied the Luna Honu too. I spoke to aNueNue about it and they were appalled, but felt there was nothing they can do...
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

Here's the Luna version and the Kmise. Bold as brass. 26241587_1589780554423238_2066607459_n.jpg26235565_1589780654423228_1955120622_n.jpg

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Ken Timms, Fluke, Flea, KM Dreadnought, Pono MHD Pro Classic

And the aNueNue original and Kmise copy

1381595966-2792359868.jpg71llQDc60CL._SL1200_.jpg

Interesting that it's "only" about a 33% discount, and with no case. I think I'd probably pay the extra $50 to get the Gold Tone version that comes with a case, since you'd spend a good $20 on a halfway decent case anyway. My primary instrument is the 5-string banjo and the one and only banjo I've ever needed over the past decade plus I've played has bee a Gold Tone. I'm seriously tempted by the Little Gem series; would love to tune it CGDA and have a mini tenor to travel with.

If I was in the market for one, I'd get the Goldtone too.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

It's funny what bazmaz says about Kmise undercutting Gold Tone, Luna, etc. I have been off-and-on looking at getting a banjo uke, but wouldn't necessarily want to spend a ton on what would probably be a sort of novelty for me. I honestly would probably have bought a Kmise if Gold Tone hadn't come out with this line at a very similar price point! So who's undercutting who?

I didn’t suggest undercutting. I suggested pinching designs used by others.

Kmise is completely ripping off designs especially the cute bear-head design. I would think that is unique enough to be under some sort of copyright law, but my guess is that anything goes in China!
    I think most of us here on UU would buy the slightly-better Gold Tone since we trust the name more. But we are a more educated player than most (I think). So it’s really the newbie who’s looking at these Chinese knockoffs who are taking the plunge
    Last edited by igorthebarbarian; 03-03-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information