Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite strings for Kala Travel / spruce top ukes?

Default Favorite strings for Kala Travel / spruce top ukes?

Just wondering what kind of strings Kala Travel owners prefer to use. Iíve got the soprano and tenor thinline and thinking itís time to explore new strings. Iím loving the Worth and Aquila lava on my other ukes and Iíve heard some use the Aquila reds on their Kala Travel ukes.

If you’re looking for good volume and sustain, try the Aquila Sugar strings. Great strings if you can get past the squeakyness from the texture.

A lot of people in my group have the tenors, since that is what the leader recommended when the group first started. A lot of them like Living Water...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    ..... A lot of them like Living Water...
    So do I, I have them on nearly all my ukes, including my thinline solid spruce concert.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I have a Kala spruce top soprano, though not the thinline. I went with Martins and love the sustain and clear, clean tone.
    - Laura

You might try Worth Brown if you want a slightly smoother sound, or Worth Clear if you prefer it brighter.

I did just that today ! So far Iím liking the Worth Brown, they do seem to round out the sound.

Put some D’Addario fluorocarbon on my Kala Spruce top today. A little mellow/muddy sounding are my first impressions. Not as loud or sustained as the Sugars I had on before it, but def more comfortable to play. Have a set of Martin tenor and concert strings that I will test coming in on Monday.

Martin M620's has helped my Kala travel tenor.

Had Worth Browns on mine (high G) tenor that my friend has. I like that they seem to tone down the brightness of the Spruce. And the Brown contrasts nicely against the lighter top.... having said that, strings are so subjective.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Thread Information