Thread: Greetings from a London newbie

Default Greetings from a London newbie

Hi all,

I've only been playing for a month or so (just completed 4 weeks of beginners' group lessons) but am already completely hooked. Been learning the harp for the last couple of years - I love it but it's a fiendishly difficult instrument so I've been looking for something with a slightly shallower learning curve to go alongside it. Not much desire to return to piano or flute (which were the instruments I learned at school) but I hit on the uke as a choice and am thrilled I can already play Hotel California (simplified, just strumming with 6 or 7 chords)!

I'm a left-hander though and that is proving a challenge in that I have to do all my own chord-charts (trying to use mirrors etc left me hopelessly confused in the early stages). Thank goodness there are a few online resources for lefties.

I can see I'm going to have to resist the temptation to amass a collection of instruments - just over one month in and I already have two! My first purchase was a Duke solid top mahogany soprano DUSX which has a beautiful rich tone and is very easy to play; but (with future improvement in my playing in mind!) I've also invested in a solid mahogany Snail concert (SUC-M3). Both are strung left-handed.

I look forward to exploring these forums and learning all I can!

Welcome to UU. You are off to a good start for already taken a group lesson.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Welcome aboard.

I learned to play uke, & then went back to harmonica, it really helped me get to grips with them, I now play chromatic harmonica more than uke, but I intend getting better at both - enjoy the journey.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Welcome from another Londoner!

Welcome to UU Melusine
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Hiya, I'm sort of London (Ruislip) but born in Scotland. REALLY hard not to buy too many ukes
    Last edited by Iulia; 03-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Welcome to the forum

Welcome form the East Midlands!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Welcome to the forums, Melusine!!

Thanks for all the lovely welcome messages, this seems like a very friendly board! Also, I've already learned tons from reading various threads

Thread Information