Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Guitars made ukuleles

Default Taylor Guitars made ukuleles

I just recently discovered that Taylor guitars made some ukuleles about 7-9 years ago. Does anyone here have one? What are their thoughts on the ukulele? I understand not a lot of them were made and that they may have been part of a set.
    Current makers: Kinnard, DeVine, Moore Bettah, Ko'olau, Grimes, Kamaka

Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Someone will correct me. I seem to remember Taylor's more recent fore into ukuleles had them offering a Guitar/Ukulele set. You could buy both, but not the ukulele. And, again as I remember, the set was very costly.
    There is a used one for sale on Reverb right now for $3,750. Ad says it is one of 50 made and was only available in the set for $8,000. So, (being a guitar guy) he's selling it for more than the new price. You see why Taylor stopped. We weren't buying.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Has anyone heard or played one?
    Current makers: Kinnard, DeVine, Moore Bettah, Ko'olau, Grimes, Kamaka

No, but my two cents, just an opinion, they are not going to be as good as the collings ukes that were made.
    At one time everyone was touting how great the Breedlove ukes were,,,,so I searched and got one.
    I honestly thought it sucked sonically. No matter what strings I put on. Heavy, overbuilt and very quiet. Ditched it fast. The Taylor may be much better, .......but at that cost, who cares?
    Last edited by uketanzon; 03-04-2018 at 06:02 AM.
    (Originally a Northern Yankee
    But now a good old southern boy)

Martin IZ Commenorative Tenor
    Martin style 1 1950 soprano
    Koaloha Special issue Purple heart Tenor
    Koaloha Long Neck Soprano Koa
    Kamaka 100 year anniversary model hf-1
    Kanilea Concert Koa
    Southern Cross Banjo Concert

Quote Originally Posted by Patchenu View Post
    Has anyone heard or played one?
    Yes, I’ve played one. It sounded very nice. But, at $4k I believe there are better choices.

https://app.box.com/s/1mnbw3sqmikffiaj7fo3ucl67kq3g865
    Last edited by Doc_J; 03-04-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by uketanzon View Post
    No, but my two cents, just an opinion, they are not going to be as good as the collings ukes that were made.
    At one time everyone was touting how great the Breedlove ukes were,,,,so I searched and got one.
    I honestly thought it sucked sonically. No matter what strings I put on. Heavy, overbuilt and very quiet. Ditched it fast. The Taylor may be much better, .......but at that cost, who cares?
    (My two cents: Collings makes pretty, over-priced, over-rated ukuleles, too)
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    (My two cents: Collings makes pretty, over-priced, over-rated ukuleles, too)
    Unfortunately the only Collings I have played didn't quite get there for me. I was, however, and early no frills one.

John

I read in Wood and Steel (Taylor's quarterly magazine) that a line of Taylor Ukuleles are in the works. I think it was the summer 2017 issue where Bob Taylor said 'look for something next year'. I'll see if I can find the article. I was intrigued as a longtime Taylor player. If guitars are any indication perhaps they'll roll out ukes across the price range.
    Last edited by etudes; 03-05-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: error correction
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Tenor - high G
    Blackbird Farallon- low G
    Koaloha KSM-02 Long-neck Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Unfortunately the only Collings I have played didn't quite get there for me. I was, however, and early no frills one.

John
    John, if you get up to Santa Monica at all I am happy to show you two Collings I think are a pretty damn special. A concert and a tenor.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thread Information