Thread: Kalimba

Default Kalimba

Anyone have a passion for Kalimbas? I just ordered two this past week and should be getting them on Mon or Tuesday. I ordered a Hugh Tracy Alto C but tuned in G and a Treble D ... I'm excited because the online vendor allowed me to cherry pick each Kalimba. I would love to talk to anyone with experience in the Kalimba... Mahalo!

I bought one for my young niece, who is only 5/6. She's probably too young to actually play it yet, but I figured it'd be a good stepping stone to building a framework for music (hopefully). I played around with it though mightily to "try it out and make sure it works!" - before giving it to her. I liked it quite a bit. It's small and super-portable and fun (also key pro's to the ukulele). I figured out how to play the bassline to Violent Femmes' Blister in the Sun. It sounded passable. Fun. Reasonably priced too.
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

I have and love my lotus tuned kalimba, a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Piecomics View Post
    I have and love my lotus tuned kalimba, a lot of fun!
    Is your lotus a Hugh Tracy?

It is. A very good instrument.

I have two that I've picked up, but never really used much. Pentatonic scale. Kids play with them when they come to visit.

Thread Information