Am I selling myself short?

Ctmpwrdcamry

Reaction score
I have been playing for around 9 months. In that time I started with a cheap orange Penguin uke from Amahi. After two months I was convinced that for the first time in my life I could learn to play music.

In July I got concert Flea and loved it. In November I got the chance to play around with a Firefly in San Jose and started looking around for things to sell. In January I got my own concert Firefly and found a great deal on a concert Fluke. I am now saving for something else and am looking at the Klos offering.

Am I missing not going with traditional material? I love the quality of my Magic Fluke offerings, but its really all I know. I love the fact I can hand them over to my 3 year old and not worry about damage. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Sean

:agree: No, you're not missing anything, if that is the sound you like & you are enjoying playing on them, that is what counts, you don't need an expensive uke to make music. :)

Hello I don't think you're selling yourself short but it all honesty don't limit yourself to Ukuleles because they are easy to maintain compared to the solid wood offerings. Like you I was so AMPED to buy a KLoS for all the benefits of easy maintenance because it's carbon fibre... but after hearing the sound sample I'm holding back. No rush to buy something at that price point to save 24%.

Also like you, I have a concert Flea. I was lucky to buy one used for fairly cheap and in good condition. It's my goto Ukulele... but to be honest in terms of sound, it has nothing on the solid koa Martin that I own. For the life of me I would have not ever thought I would buy a solid wood Ukulele because of all the maintenance and humidifying etc (all Greek to me)... but I managed to snag this one locally used for 400 dollars, considering it's 700 plus dollars retail at the music shops. It's so sweet to play, and the smell of a Martin... WOW like real wood cedar chips lol.

So I think some of us we wanna buy certain Ukuleles for easy maintenance but I wouldn't limit yourself that way!

I have been playing for around 9 months. In that time I started with a cheap orange Penguin uke from Amahi. After two months I was convinced that for the first time in my life I could learn to play music.

In July I got concert Flea and loved it. In November I got the chance to play around with a Firefly in San Jose and started looking around for things to sell. In January I got my own concert Firefly and found a great deal on a concert Fluke. I am now saving for something else and am looking at the Klos offering.

Am I missing not going with traditional material? I love the quality of my Magic Fluke offerings, but its really all I know. I love the fact I can hand them over to my 3 year old and not worry about damage. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Sean

I don't know what "selling myself short" has to do with "am I missing not going with traditional material?". The first usually means you are being overly modest about your playing ability. Not knowing you or your ability, I can't answer that. But the second I can answer and the answer is "yes", of course you are missing a lot of experiences with different tones, looks, and sizes of ukes. Now, will they make you a better player or make you enjoy playing more? Not necessarily. But they will lighten your wallet. ;-) As plunker alludes to, this can be a very deep hole to dive into. :p

Thanks for the quick replies.

I know the sound is different, its great, but wasnt sure I might be missing something trialing my ear for sounds. I honestly do not know what I like, still to green to have a well through out possition on anything. Just did my first string change on my Flea, went with Martins. Only thing i dont like is they are clear, and I had become accustom to the white strings.

Might have to give a wood uke a try before getting another composite. The only down side I have with my Magic Flukes to my wifes ear is they are loud when the kids go to sleep. Ive found a way to mute them with some foam over the strings but now im off topic. I think ill follow sunshiNee and wait. I thought it sounded sweet but so does most of Jakes playing.

Plunker, your right. Its nothing new with me. I like to try new things qway before equipment is the hold back.

With the learning curve in mind - the more skilled you become, the less the quality of the instrument matters.
It's your playing and technique that makes your distinct sound, not necessarily the instrument.

Provided you are playing decent quality stuff and not junk.
And a Flea is no junk. They're well setup and sound excellent.

But indeed, also feel free to try and experiment different sounds as you see fit.
Different ukuleles made of different woods, etc, have different characteristics worth exploring.
But at the end of the day - they're all ukes, and will sound like ukes when you play it :)

(Been playing ukulele since around 2006, and owned Mahalos, Ponos, Risas, Oscar Schmidts, Kamakas, Fleas, Kalas, Ohanas, Lanikais, Arias, Tanglewood, Eleukes, Martins, Matons, and more than I can name! )

I think ill follow sunshiNee and wait. I thought it sounded sweet but so does most of Jakes playing.

Plunker, your right. Its nothing new with me. I like to try new things qway before equipment is the hold back.

I'm quite new to ukes but what I'm learning (especially from the many wonderful peeps on these forums) is that with music and for some magic reason, especially with ukes, there is no right or wrong... only what we enjoy, what brings a smile to our faces, makes us happy and therefore, keeps us playing. Like you, I am favoring ukes that are non-traditional (non-wood) simply because I want to be able to bring them any & everywhere and I've already learned that I live in a climate what's hard on traditional wood instruments. I know I could make wood instruments work and care for them but I like the sound of the other materials, too. I also like modern or contemporary decor so I'm probably the same with ukes. I'm trying to keep the "stuff" I own a little more minimal at this point in my life & finding just one or two different ukes with different sounds and sizes that can go anywhere is perfect for me.

All this to say, you know what you like and what works for you and your family now. Having ukes that you aren't afraid if your kiddos handling is such a gift to them! They won't have be discouraged from touching the "grown-ups" instruments (always frustrating to hear as a kiddo!) and you can encourage music in their lives, if they are at all interested. Maybe as they are older, more traditional (wooden) instruments will be a good fit for you then but if these are working for you now and (seemingly) make you happy to.play, then just enjoy the incredible ukes that you have! Magic Flukes are one of the few other instruments that could make me jealous - and you are fortunate enough to have more than one to enjoy . :) How awesome is that? Good for you. I don't think your missing anything.

Oh, and I love the sound of the new Klos uke. I think it sounds great. I've heard several well recorded, excellent quality sound samples of the Klos guitar and am confident that the uke is going to sound incredible. I'm not sure that they had a mic very near the ukes in those videos, FWIW. If you're interested, I'll share a couple of the Klos guitar vids but don't want to push them on you if your not. Again, everyone's ears are different... Doesn't mean that anyone is wrong in what they like. JMHO ;)

Last edited:

All this to say, you know what you like and what works for you and your family now. Having ukes that you aren't afraid if your kiddos handling is such a gift to them! They won't have be discouraged from touching the "grown-ups" instruments (always frustrating to hear as a kiddo!) and you can encourage music in their lives, if they are at all interested. Maybe as they are older, more traditional (wooden) instruments will be a good fit for you then but if these are working for you now and (seemingly) make you happy to.play, then just enjoy the incredible ukes that you have! Magic Flukes are one of the few other instruments that could make me jealous - and you are fortunate enough to have more than one to enjoy . :) How awesome is that? Good for you. I don't think your missing anything.

Oh, and I love the sound of the new Klos uke. I think it sounds great. I've heard several well recorded, excellent quality sound samples of the Klos guitar and am confident that the uke is going to sound incredible. I'm not sure that they had a mic very near the ukes in those videos, FWIW. If you're interested, I'll share a couple of the Klos guitar vids but don't want to push them on you if your not. Again, everyone's ears are different... Doesn't mean that anyone is wrong in what they like. JMHO ;)

Thank you for reminding me of this point about not having to worry about things with the kiddos. It was the reason I did not get a Mainland. I really liked them after seeing them at their shop, but worried about durability with the kids.

I when ahead and ordered a Klos. I love the way they look and they sound good to me. Then again, my ear is not in tune enough to hear much difference over my iphone speakers.

I absolutely agree with getting a uke that is well set up and easy to play. But I wouldn't worry about getting a uke that is a "K" brand, or made of koa, UNLESS you can tell the difference. I've been playing guitar for over 50 years, and I have to admit that I have always been unable to discern the difference between a great old Martin (like the 1967 D-28 I had in high school) and an off the shelf modern Taylor. Over the years I have gravitated to carbon fiber instruments and the like - not because I prefer the sound - but because I really can't tell the difference, and I prefer not having to worry about taking such care with my instruments.

My uke club has lots of people playing Fleas and Flukes. Nothing wrong with them at all (though I do prefer the ones with wood fretboards).

Top Bottom