Removing Fluke Fretboard??

Uke Don

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with removing the plastic Magic Fluke fretboard that you are willing to share? I'd like to put on one with real frets, and while I'm at it, a radiused one at that. I'm reluctant to try to heat up the plastic to try and melt the glue, but to plane it off doesn't sound like much fun either.

Of course, you could send it back to them and they will do it for you. I have known people who have had this done and have been very happy with it.

Yes, sending it back is an option. But the wooden fretboard is a $79 upgrade, plus labor, plus shipping both ways. I can buy a fretboard for $10, fret wire for $4.25, and have it radiused and slotted for $18. And then I have exactly what I want.

Magic Fluke have officially stated that it is ill-advised to remove the plastic fretboard yourself.

They have said that the reason is because of the special adhesive they use, which according to them is not able to be softened by heat and is likely to cause damage to the underlying wood of the neck, as well as bubbling of the satin finish on the neck.

Additionally, due to the amount of heat required where the fretboard goes over the top by the sound-hole, that you are likely to also melt the body of the instrument as well as compromise the integrity of the wooden top.

Likely Magic Fluke Company has the proper solvent for the glue they use, and I know for a fact that they have done fretboard replacements/upgrades, upon request (at a small cost), for over a decade.

My advice is to at least call them and speak to Dale or Phyllis (the owners) and see what they say.

by Magic Fluke Company web site said:
Open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (off-hours and weekends by appointment)
Stop by to see the factory at work and browse our retail hallway. We have several instruments available to play and purchase (firsts and seconds), as well as an extensive selection of ukulele songbooks and accessories.

The Magic Fluke Company
292 South Main Street
Sheffield, MA 01257
(413) 229-8536

sales@magicfluke.com

source: http://www.magicfluke.com/Contact-s/1844.htm

Otherwise, if not, you are not going to be working with full facts and information, and if you proceed on this path of DIY and hack your way, I would caution you that you are likely to be greatly disappointed with the process, and might end up having to scrap the entire instrument.

Maybe they will tell you how to get it off, or ask you to send them the radiused fretboard, and let them install it for you.

I would think since they are the experts having built these instruments, since they are willing to do custom work, and really go the extra mile, the best outcome will be by involving them in the process, and even if it cost a little bit of money, the end result of them doing the work would be perfect, unless of course you have lots of luthery experience and have done this kind of task with great skill, finesse and expertise previously.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps! :)

You can find out more about Magic Fluke Company instruments in the mega-thread by clicking on the FAQ link in my signature below.

Anyone have experience with removing the plastic Magic Fluke fretboard that you are willing to share? I'd like to put on one with real frets, and while I'm at it, a radiused one at that. I'm reluctant to try to heat up the plastic to try and melt the glue, but to plane it off doesn't sound like much fun either.

If someone lives in the USA then I can see a good case for returning it to the factory, but equally some folk like to do things for themselves and that has its own merits. If you don’t live in the USA then the shipping and hassle, etc., could get out of hand. I can see that for those with their own good reasons not to return it to the factory some pointers would be helpful. I hope that others will come to see it that way too, good luck.

Last edited:
If it is you only uke then don't risk it. If you are the kind of person who has many (UAS) then get out the palette knife and blow torch and give it your best shot. If it goes to ukelele heaven then learn from it and remember not to buy the plastic fretboard version in future.
Life's too short...

Last edited:
If someone lives in the USA then I can see a good case for returning it to the factory, but equally some folk like to do things for themselves and that has its own merits. If you don’t live in the USA then the shipping and hassle, etc., could get out of hand. I can see that for those with their own good reasons not to return it to the factory some pointers would be helpful. I hope that others will come to see it that way too, good luck.

I am all for the do it yourself approach, but one also has to be prepared for the possibility that things don't go as planned. I hope to hear more about how this surgery works out.

While I appreciate everyone's caution and concern, I was hoping to hear from folks who have actually done this. I have no reservations about removing and replacing the fretboard. I'd just like to find the easiest way and not reinvent the wheel.

While I appreciate everyone's caution and concern, I was hoping to hear from folks who have actually done this. I have no reservations about removing and replacing the fretboard. I'd just like to find the easiest way and not reinvent the wheel.

Seems like the way for the best outcome is to FIRST have a conversation with the folks from Magic Fluke Company (contact info above) in order to get as much info as possible. Even if you plan to DIY, it will likely help you by having proper info on the adhesive used. Are you planning to at least do this small task?

Good luck!

Top Bottom