Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NGD.....Taylor GS mini

Congrats DAVE!

I had a chance to try out a few different models of the 'Little Martin', a Gretsch Jim Dandy as well as the GS Mini in a shop a few months back, and all in one sitting.

All the Martins were just 'meh' and felt overbuilt and sounded pretty dead to me, which surprised me.

The Jim Dandy also seemed overbuilt to the point if it being the guitar I'd want with me if I were a soldier deployed to the trenches, and similarly pretty flat and lifeless in tone...

But the GS Mini felt better 'out of the box' with no setup, was lighter, and projected a huge 'bubble' of sound all around me similar to when I had tried a Martin D28 sound cannon. I was VERY impressed with the GS Mini.

The sound was wonderful and easy to play, but I'd still have needed to lower the action (from 3.5mm @ the 12th) and tweak the intonation on the G string which was about 10 cents sharp after the 3rd fret, bit that's ok, since this specimen I played was literally 'just out of the box'...

Since I am still holding off on buying any new instruments now, I did not buy it at the time, but if/when I am thinking about it again, the GS Mini is going to be the first one that I look at next time.

I am glad you are enjoying your time with the new baby.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Quote Originally Posted by keod View Post
    Congrats Dave! Very nice addition. Really appreciate the comparison photos. I think size is really important - it has to be comfortable. Enjoy.
    Casey thanks for the congrats. Playability has always been important to me in ukes and especially in a larger instrument like guitar.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 03-29-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uke Don View Post
    Excellent choice. IMHO, Taylor is the best in this size range. Tone and volume are top notch, not to mention construction quality. And Taylor is a company with integrity.
    Thanks Don, these Taylors really are a great instrument and I really do like their strong stance on ethics and sustainability

Quote Originally Posted by Alytw View Post
    Awesome Dave. They are fun little guitars. Enjoy the dark side...
    Hey Adam I need to get you over here to put it through its paces. It sure is a fun little guitar

Bunnyf......the hog version really called to me, most reviewers loved the sound of the hog version best. I went to Cosmo music and dealt with a salesman I know, trust and respect, great guitar player that gigs a lot. We played the hog, koa and he pulled out 4 spruce top minis. We decided on spruce and I asked him to play all 4 of them. He gave them all a really good work out and declared this one the best. I kept quiet the whole time but I actually picked this one as well.

Hey Booli brother thanks for your honest assessment of those three small bodied guitars. The Taylor gets a lot of accolades but they really do seem to deserve it.

Still too big for me. It's amazing how small the baritones look in your comparison shots. I recently got in a Córdoba Mini and even that is a wee too big.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Yes, the GS minis are nice guits. I played guitar for over 40 years before starting with ukes 1 year ago. Recently played a spruce/rosewood GS mini at GC, and was blown away, really spectacular sound, as good or better than my previous Larrivee L-01, or longtime keeper spruce/sapele Larrivee D-02. That GS mini was an exceptional instrument, top 5% of all Taylors I've played, many costing thousands more. Went back a few days later and it was gone. Gotta agree on size. After a few months on mostly all soprano, when I picked up the Larrivee L-01 acoustic guitar, it felt so huge, like being on a different planet, even though I gig on electric guitar in our band.

If one is patient, these can be had on the used market. Got mine in mint shape $325 locally on CL.

Congratulations Dave, glad to see that you are firing up the love for small guitars as well!

Thread Information