Do I need to have a humidifier/dehumidifier

That's very interesting, Jarmo. The winter conditions here in the West Midlands of Great Britain are damp, but not very cold. I make no effort to regulate the humidity in my home, and have never attempted to measure the RH. My ukes have never suffered.

John Colter

Yes John, the sea never freezes around your island country and thanks to Golf stream it never gets very cold in winter. You have not noticed any action differences in your ukuleles between summer and winter though when you say you don't humidify, or perhaps you use case humidifiers?

In Finland, though we can easy live so up north, because of that stream, the winters are colder and more dry. Not that cold as in Canada that is not as north for most places. And we need some humidification, thank you also Dohle for "concurring" with me :)

I use no humidification of any kind, Jarmo. Most of my ukes spend their down time in hard cases, but not all. I've never noticed any seasonal differences in the way they play.

I recently undertook the repair of a solid mahogany soprano uke that had been sold to someone in Norway. Over about five winter months it had developed two shrinkage cracks in the front, and mildly protruding fret ends. Just returning to this country (where it was made) caused the cracks to close up partially. I placed it in a case with a small damp cloth for company, and the cracks almost disappeared in a couple of days. It was not a difficult repair. I guess winter conditions in Norway are similar to Finland.

John Colter.

Heh, I've no doubt that the lower humidity levels in the UK rarely come even close compared to Finland or other Nordic countries (or countries like Canada, for example). Even here, the relative humidity during autumn can be decent when it's really damp outside anyway, but once it gets even close to freezing temperatures... well... you better watch out for your ukes and other instruments. I mean for goodness' sake, my nose and throat are completely dry when I wake up on a winter morning if I haven't properly humidified my flat. I wouldn't dare think what'd happen to my ukes in those sort of conditions without proper humidification.

Easy one to answer.
Unless there is a source of humidity in the structure, you don't want more ventilation, that will just bring in more humid air. you want to stop air from infiltrating and then dry out the interior.
I run a normal residential unit as my basement never gets below ~45 degrees, so I can help with a recommendation.

Just found cheap model in review:
https://houseweather.org/best-dehumidifier-for-basement/#product8

Last edited:
I use the humidifier and I'm honestly pleased with this product.I didn't think a small humidifier could moisten an entire master bedroom.
It is very cool thing for your health :)
So I recommend you to buy this one!

http://partzstop.com/
There are a good choice of humidifiers :)

Top Bottom