Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw recommendation (UK)

Default Bandsaw recommendation (UK)

After building a kit or two I seem to have a need to build more ukuleles. I'm collecting some wood and have sourced a bending iron and was thinking a bench top band saw would be a worthwhile addition to my work room. Space limitations limit me to bench top size. My budget is up to £200 though could stretch a little further I suppose. Any recommendations?

At the entry I've seen the titan ttb705bds from screwfix at £110 and the record power bs9 at £180 from machinemart.

Usage would be for rough cutting necks, soundboards etc. The ability to be able resaw hardwoods for sides etc would be nice in the future but not shure this is achievable.

Thanks

Brian
    Last edited by BrianMahoney; 03-06-2018 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Attempt to edit title

The basic Axeminster model works well for everything you need except resawing (which you said maybe not yet anyway). It was about 100 pounds, thought may have gone up in price since I got mine 10 years or so ago...
    My Website
    The stringed instrument database which I also run.
    I play far too many instruments to list, but I like 4 courses of nylon strings best!

Personally, I would avoid the Titan only because of it's size and lack of power. I had the very similar Sheppach one from Screwfix, but soon realised after breaking a few bands, that I needed something better. So about 12 months later bought a hobby model from Axminster, it was around £250 at the time, but was well worth it and I've never broken any blades yet.
    The problem with the smaller machines IMO is that the wheels are smaller and therefore put more stress on the blade by making it conform to a tighter bend, and so care must also be taken when buying new blades that they are of the correct thickness.
    This is mine, and it has been my best and most useful tool purchase for a long time. https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...bandsaw-508204
    You might still need a larger machine for resawing, but you may get away with this if you were to stick with sopranos.
    Good luck.
    Incidentally, mine is sat on the bench top, I don't use the cabinet.
    Last edited by mikeyb2; 03-06-2018 at 10:10 PM.

I used an Electra Beckum BAS 250G (probably a generic machine rather than German original and now discontinued) successfully for several years, and the Axminster machine Mike references above seems very similar. Taking it slowly I could manage 70 mm thick mahogany guitar neck blanks with that machine, but that was it's limit.

Outside your price range I know, but for anyone in the UK looking for genuine re-saw capability but still in a benchtop machine, then I would recommend this one: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...bandsaw-508475 I traded up to one a year or so ago to gain better re-saw capability. Expensive and very heavy, but a huge improvement over the cheaper benchtop machines.
    Last edited by Wildestcat; 03-06-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Cheers
    Paul

I made the mistake of getting too small a bandsaw from the start ..I started off with a cheap S/H Burgess..then a 6 inch one ..then a 10 inch..and finally a SIP 14 inch...I should have got the 14 inch to start with..cos thats the size you will need in the end. https://www.craigmoreonline.co.uk/si...iABEgJ6gPD_BwE
    Last edited by Timbuck; 03-07-2018 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks for the responses. Budget and space constraints prevent me from following up on two of them though that sip looks like it could have a place in my dream workshop.

I'll look at the Axminster and see if I can stretch the budget to reach.

Brian

Im certainly interested in this thread.
    I have been considering my options as I am looking for something with a bit more go about it too.
    Not a lot of info for UK purchases

That SIP does look good!
    'All the gear, no idea’
    KM-Ukuleles
    Ukuleles from the heart!

Also consider getting a decent blade for whatever machine you do get. I reccomend Tuf Saws http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?...ategory&path=4
    their fastcut blade is great for re sawing. They are very helpful and if you email him with the details of blade length and what machine you have, and tell him what you want to cut he will recommend a suitable blade. I upgraded from the previous model of the Axminster Hobby bandsaw to a Record Power BS350s and love it but it is outside your price bracket. Take time to set the saw guides and table up properly, they don't work well straight out the box. Throw away the blade that comes with the bandsaw as they are usually very poor quality. This Youtube guide takes you through the set up process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVyKsbuwZQ Setting the blade gullets central to the top wheel is one of the best tips I have came across and has eliminated any blade drift.

Cheers, Bob
    Last edited by Bob Orr; 03-07-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Orr View Post
    Also consider getting a decent blade for whatever machine you do get. I reccomend Tuf Saws http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?...ategory&path=4
    their fastcut blade is great for re sawing. They are very helpful and if you email him with the details of blade length and what machine you have, and tell him what you want to cut he will recommend a suitable blade. I upgraded from the previous model of the Axminster Hobby bandsaw to a Record Power BS350s and love it but it is outside your price bracket. Take time to set the saw guides and table up properly, they don't work well straight out the box. Throw away the blade that comes with the bandsaw as they are usually very poor quality. This Youtube guide takes you through the set up process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVyKsbuwZQ Setting the blade gullets central to the top wheel is one of the best tips I have came across and has eliminated any blade drift.

Cheers, Bob
    +1 for TuffSaws blades. They're expensive bu they work well.
    My Website
    The stringed instrument database which I also run.
    I play far too many instruments to list, but I like 4 courses of nylon strings best!

There's nothing wrong with the bench top models if you are fine with cutting medium density hardwoods under 3". They save space but eventually you may get tired of constantly placing it on the bench and then having to put it away again. I know I did. If it's permanently on a bench it saves very little space over a larger model. In the end I bought a cheap 14" model. I've had it some 15 years and it's served me well. Given that I buy ready cut sets it's not absolutely necessary but the capacity is always there just in case.

Thread Information