Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kiwaya - new model

Personally, for that money, I'd get a Kanile'a or other Hawaiian K brand...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Here's the link to the Takumi I mentioned earlier:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/takum...t-tk-3c-2.html
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

This Kiwaya KMT-K Master Series Koa Tenor looks cool too. Saw it on Flea Market, supposedly only 20 of these out there, so far.

Koa Master Series Tenor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    This Kiwaya KMT-K Master Series Koa Tenor looks cool too. Saw it on Flea Market, supposedly only 20 of these out there, so far.

Absolutely. I have transacted with that seller multiple times and can vouch 100% for her.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Oh my goodness.

Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    .....I'm curious - what don't you get about 14 frets on a soprano? I think it's great and wish it was a more common feature!
    I just don't understand how, with soprano scale, they could have 14 frets to the body, instead of the usual 12 of a vintage Martin, and most others. I looked closer at the specs, and see that the Takumi scale length is 350mm, or 13.7795", while a standard Martin sop is 346mm or 13.625. So the Takumi scale length is just over 1/8" longer, so I'm still not sure how they can add 2 extra frets to the body, with approximately the same scale length. What am I missing here?
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-10-2018 at 06:30 AM.

I just don't understand how, with soprano scale, they could have 14 frets to the body, instead of the usual 12 of a vintage Martin, and most others. I looked closer at the specs, and see that the Takumi scale length is 350mm, or 13.7795", while a standard Martin sop is 346mm or 13.625. So the Takumi scale length is just over 1/8" longer, so I'm still not sure how they can add 2 extra frets to the body, with approximately the same scale length. What am I missing here?
    Just as some 17" tenors have 12 clear, some 13 clear, some 14 clear, etc., the same can be true in other sizes. Fret placements are mathematically determined by scale length. How many are clear has to do with bridge placement and how many total is determined by fretboard length.

Does that help?
    Last edited by Ukulele Eddie; 03-10-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Yes, thank you!

Would that be considered a soprano long neck- aka super soprano?
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Tenor - high G
    Blackbird Farallon- low G
    Koaloha KSM-02 Long-neck Soprano

Thread Information