Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Pin Bridge vs Tie Bridge

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Michigan, US
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tootler View Post
    Something like this, I think. ((((Hugs))))
    Oh yeah, you're right! I was looking for an actual emoticon and forgot all about the parentheses. (((Hugs)))
    Margaret, classical guitarist gone uke crazy

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    over yonder
    Posts
    6,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flailingfingers View Post
    Try GOOGLING "Bridge beads ukulele". Lots of stuff. I use them on my through-bridge MB. Works better than the knots I was using and spreads the pressure.
    Yes those 'String Ties' and 'Bridge Beads' are like $20 or more + shipping. and require a PhD in Geometry for how to feed the string thru the 8 holes in them without just going straight thru with a knot on the end.

    I got a 14" strand of like 50 beads for $1.50 at Michaels, and as such about a dozen different strands in all shapes and sizes.

    I have lots of ukes and guitars, so when I bought this assortment of ~600 individual beads like 3 yrs ago, I used lots of them, also lost lots of them on the floor somewhere, but for $18 or so, my money went much farther than those "Bridge beads' or 'String Ties' and these being made of bone does nothing for the sound since they are AFTER the saddle and the ones in abalone do nothing for me because I avoid bling whenever possible.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Yes those 'String Ties' and 'Bridge Beads' are like $20 or more + shipping. and require a PhD in Geometry for how to feed the string thru the 8 holes in them without just going straight thru with a knot on the end.

    I got a 14" strand of like 50 beads for $1.50 at Michaels, and as such about a dozen different strands in all shapes and sizes.

    I have lots of ukes and guitars, so when I bought this assortment of ~600 individual beads like 3 yrs ago, I used lots of them, also lost lots of them on the floor somewhere, but for $18 or so, my money went much farther than those "Bridge beads' or 'String Ties' and these being made of bone does nothing for the sound since they are AFTER the saddle and the ones in abalone do nothing for me because I avoid bling whenever possible.
    This is a remarkable coincidence: my PhD doctorate thesis was titled " The Measurable Effect of Walrus Bone Bridge Beads on the Sustain of Tone in the Ukulele as Studied Geometrically". Surprisingly the sustain was shown to be increased by almost 300% over the simple utilitarian variety of beads that were commonly being used. Further it was discovered that the beads being sold by Michaels were coming from sources that did not observe conditions that were in keeping with PETA standards. The entire faculty of the Geometry department immediately changed to walrus bone beads and never looked back. They were known to be susceptible to "bling" however and that have hastened their move.
    Last edited by flailingfingers; 03-10-2018 at 03:30 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    over yonder
    Posts
    6,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flailingfingers View Post
    This is a remarkable coincidence: my PhD doctorate thesis was titled " The Measurable Effect of Walrus Bone Bridge Beads on the Sustain of Tone in the Ukulele as Studied Geometrically". Surprisingly the sustain was shown to be increased by almost 300% over the simple utilitarian variety of beads that were commonly being used. Further it was discovered that the beads being sold by Michaels were coming from sources that did not observe conditions that were in keeping with PETA standards. The entire faculty of the Geometry department immediately changed to walrus bone beads and never looked back. They were known to be susceptible to "bling" however and that have hastened their move.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oop North in England
    Posts
    5,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Yes those 'String Ties' and 'Bridge Beads' are like $20 or more + shipping. and require a PhD in Geometry for how to feed the string thru the 8 holes in them without just going straight thru with a knot on the end.

    I got a 14" strand of like 50 beads for $1.50 at Michaels, and as such about a dozen different strands in all shapes and sizes.

    I have lots of ukes and guitars, so when I bought this assortment of ~600 individual beads like 3 yrs ago, I used lots of them, also lost lots of them on the floor somewhere, but for $18 or so, my money went much farther than those "Bridge beads' or 'String Ties' and these being made of bone does nothing for the sound since they are AFTER the saddle and the ones in abalone do nothing for me because I avoid bling whenever possible.
    I got mine at Hobbycraft, a UK hobby and crafts chain store. Beading is quite a popular hobby, at least it is here so just look for suppliers of material for beading.
    Geoff Walker

    I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

    at least, not yet.

    I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

    Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uke Don View Post
    Jerry, would you mind sharing where you saw this? I'm really curious where it appeared and who wrote it. Thanks!
    Offhand, I'd say it was in the FAQ section of The Ukulele Site - from a link that Booli posted, I think.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Northen California
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Offhand, I'd say it was in the FAQ section of The Ukulele Site - from a link that Booli posted, I think.
    Thanks. I did look there but did not find it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    What he said, especially easy string changes! And amazing looks...I got some rosewood buttons with abalone inserts.
    Attachment 107143
    Are those retaining pins a standard size?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •