Thread: Advice Sought: Kiwaya KMS-K or New Martin 2K

Question Advice Sought: Kiwaya KMS-K or New Martin 2K

I am new to the forum but really hesitating between Kiwaya KMS-K and New Martin 2K soprano. Would truly appreciate it if you can enlighten me. BTW, both are brand new but Kiwaya KMS-K is US 200 more expensive.

I have a modern Martin 2K soprano and LOVE it! Martin isn't making 2K sopranos right now, so if your'e serious, don't wait to long. No more new ones on the way...

I have owned both new and vintage 2K's. I preferred the newer 2K. I have not owned a KMS-K but have played a few. I would also encourage you to check out the Takumi. I have played this exact one and it's lovely:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/takum...-tk-3c-66.html

The lower bout is a bit wider than the Kiwaya and the Martin. I think this enhances the tone.

I will be buying the concert version if somebody else doesn't buy it soon.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

I have not played a Martin 2K but I own a Kiwaya KMC-K. This is certainly one of the finest crafted instruments I have held. Impeccable, flawless, quality are just a few words that immediately popped into my head when I first held it. Definitely worths its price, especially if you can find a bargain.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Bruce Wei Hummingbird, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Serious question: How about the Ohana Martin Model 3 replicas (I think they are their model 39)? Or are you interested in just Kiwaya and Martin?
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Many thanks guys! How about Martin 2K concert vs. Kiwaya kms? Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by david_shan View Post
    Many thanks guys! How about Martin 2K concert vs. Kiwaya kms? Much appreciated!
    Do you really mean 2K concert vs. KMS (soprano)? If so, that's apples to oranges. Which size is more comfortable for you?

If you meant Martin 2k concert vs. Kiwaya KMC (concert vs. concert), personally I prefer the Kiwaya of two. Again, I would suggest you consider the Takumi, which is particularly exceptional in the concert size (well, the four I've played were, including one I owned for a bit).
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Thank you Eddie! Will look into Takumi to see how it compares with KMC.

I have not played either of these, but any Kiwayas that I have played have been lovely instruments with incredible attention to detail. I would have no hesitation buying any product from them.

Thread Information