Season 317 - Outside

Right. Problem I have is it's still mainly dark when I leave for work and the sun is going down when I go home. Luckily I had a decent run with traffic this evening and didn't need to go to the shop on the way so I ignored my wife's pleas for dinner and headed out to the balcony to play one of the few songs I know how to play but haven't done for the seasons before. Quick run through to remind myself and then a one take noodle. Apologies for the car noises.

A Finnish children's song about winter frost, recorded in a patch of woods near my home. "Winter frost" is an exaggeration here, the temperature was -3 C (26.6 F). Sound quality is poor, as there is a background noise from a big road and my thick cuff muted the strings (just like ubulele just said). But otherwise, this must be the liveliest performance from me ever. :)

Wouldnt you know my neighbors directly behind me has decided to put a new roof on today and its spring break for all the kids this week. Today they are stripping the old roof off. I've been awake since early morning listening to the scrapping and banging! I'll try to get something done later. Tomorrow my yard will be filled with irrigation water. Turn on time is 1 pm. If I don't get something done today I don't know what Ill do. BTW its 80+ degrees today. Nice and sunny. So sunny that the glare might be too much to see if I'm in the shot? I defo have to memorize this song!

Wish me luck!

Wouldnt you know my neighbors directly behind me has decided to put a new roof on today and its spring break for all the kids this week. Today they are stripping the old roof off. I've been awake since early morning listening to the scrapping and banging! I'll try to get something done later. Tomorrow my yard will be filled with irrigation water. Turn on time is 1 pm. If I don't get something done today I don't know what Ill do. BTW its 80+ degrees today. Nice and sunny. So sunny that the glare might be too much to see if I'm in the shot? I defo have to memorize this song!

Wish me luck!

LUCK!!!! The good kind!

This is one that I’ve been trying to learn for my preschool story times. H was glad to help me out since it meant falling down repeatedly in the snow. :)

Last Thursday, we had a snowstorm that knocked out several trees in the neighborhood. One of our next door neighbors had a tree fall on another neighbor's garage. Today, we've had over a foot (30 cm) of snow so far, and it won't ease up for several more hours. So this is best I can do for you this week.

So, here I am early this frosty morning, in a parking lot, at the beginning of my long Tuesday work day. I did this song because my wife likes it a lot, she's been wanting me to record it for awhile, and it does involve being outside.

Wish me luck!

My neighbours across the road are having a room built on above the garage. Fortunately our house was in the way which muffled most of the sound of the workmen so it didn't really cause a problem. There was also some bird song but I welcome that.

Great theme! In the summertime, I spend a lot of time playing my uku on this bench in Westport Light State Park, which is right outside my patio gate. Life is good. :)

It's quite chilly here for mid-March, but I was able to sneak this one in before the sun went down. I do not recommend wearing fleece while you play unless you have a strap for the uke. Here's some Buddy Holly.

Thanks for hosting Brian! Definitely pushing me out of my comfort zone, but had fun doing a couple of songs! This first one is a Steve Earle tune called Galway Girl!

This is my second song I did while I was set up. It's a Townes Van Zandt tune called If I needed You!

Some time ago, Trent said I should do this one. So today I went through it a couple of times and then recorded this. I waited for the sun to go down so the light wouldn't be so harsh, but that made it look a little dark. No cars driving by this time! Minimal dog noises! Sitting on the old tractor tire/tyre.

I waited till 3 pm so I would have a little shade to sit in. This is right outside my side door to the house. Back in 2011, my next door neighbors house caught fire in the middle of the night. As the firefighters worked all night from three different city firehouses this wagon and my house were the only things saved. Sadly there was a death. The property had sat vacant for six years. I chose this song to go along with the backdrop.

I must have played through this a dozen times before finally getting a decent take only to find out the camera was off. I had a heck of a time seeing the screen and I thought it was rolling when it wasn't. Roofers to the left of me and neighbor to the right raking leaves. Cars going by and UPS pulled up right in the middle of the whole experience. Ugh! I just about gave up but I persevered!

Board meeting at the Bird Rescue Center went late...way late, so while folks are going out of there way to show you something cool while they are playing...
I am bringing my front door this evening

So pleased at how the week is going.
You folks are just such a bunch of good sports.
It's certainly not your average week. Recording outside requires way more effort than what we normally do.
Seeing where you record from fills the picture of the seasonistas just that little bit more.
What you are bringing is MUCH appreciated.
Thank you!
28 participants already (including me).
Hoping for more!

Last edited:
Obviously the sun was making my lenses transition, but it's not been one of our warmer days today. This one in our back yard.
Hoping for another entry later, maybe from the balcony, if people will stay away for long enough.

Top Bottom