Thread: Aquila sugar strings gauges

Default Aquila sugar strings gauges

I was about to put on my newly arrived sugar strings on my Soprano and make a comparison video of sugar vs FC strings, then I realized I mistakenly ordered a concert set. I tried Aquila website to see if the gauges are the same, soprano vs concert set, but no info listed. Does anyone know if these two set have the same gauges or different? If the same, then I will just put the concert set on my Soprano and make a video, otherwise, I will have to order and wait...

If mimmo is seeing this, I need your help.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

I looked in a couple of places and don't see that info either. If it matters, there are people who use concert strings on soprano.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I looked in a couple of places and don't see that info either. If it matters, there are people who use concert strings on soprano.
    I know of people who use Concert strings on Tenor, to lessen the tension. So will using Concert strings on Soprano increase the tension?
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River

I think that makes sense. I am not sure how much it would increase. Some people claim that it makes the soprano sound a bit beefier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    will using Concert strings on Soprano increase the tension?
    Only if they are bigger guages. Or you can have the same tension with a lower tuning.

One thing you could do if you're happy with the tension on your current set and if you're using reentrant tuning,is the following. Tune up your old strings then remove the 1st string - the 'a' string. Now put the new 'a' string on and tune it up to 'g' - same pitch as the old 4th string. Now compare the tension. Is it noticeably lower? Then you can go on up to 'a'. Is it higher? Then maybe you want to stop there and have a Bb tuning. About the same? Maybe stop there or try going up to g# for an overall B tuning.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    -KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET-Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    -Bonanza super tenor, FBL cFAD
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    Only if they are bigger guages. Or you can have the same tension with a lower tuning.

One thing you could do if you're happy with the tension on your current set and if you're using reentrant tuning,is the following. Tune up your old strings then remove the 1st string - the 'a' string. Now put the new 'a' string on and tune it up to 'g' - same pitch as the old 4th string. Now compare the tension. Is it noticeably lower? Then you can go on up to 'a'. Is it higher? Then maybe you want to stop there and have a Bb tuning. About the same? Maybe stop there or try going up to g# for an overall B tuning.
    Thanks Jim! An ingenious way to find the perfect personal tension. I did need to read your instructions a few times, then it clicked!

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

Cao Lapyang,
    do not worry.
    The Sugar plastic compound has same density of supernylgut/new nygut so they have even the same gauges
    Mimmo

Quote Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
    Cao Lapyang,
    do not worry.
    The Sugar plastic compound has same density of supernylgut/new nygut so they have even the same gauges
    Mimmo
    Thank you mimmo, I will put the concert set on the Soprano, let it stabilized, then make a video!

Thread Information