Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Uke

Red face The Cost of Uke

Here's an odd question. How do you keep track of the costs of the ukuleles you buy? Do you include the shipping cost? On the one hand, that is definitely a cost of getting the uke. On the other hand, that cost is not for the ukulele. Shipping could cost $10 or $40, but that's not for the item itself.

Suppose you have to drive to a store to buy a ukulele. Do you include the cost of gas, tolls, and meals - or even overnight lodging?

I've decided to go back and list just the actual cost of the ukes I've bought.

I ordered a Fluke, and I thought I'd drive to The Magic Fluke to pick it up and save shipping. If I did that, I would have to pay sales tax, so I'd save only about $1.50 for three hours of round trip driving. When I list the price of the Fluke, it will be for the instrument itself.

This may seem like a minor thing, but it can lower the total spent for ukuleles considerably. Creative bookkeeping? Maybe.

Basic economics would tell us that you would have to account for everything to determine the true cost. I can tell myself that a uke only cost me $250 but if I'm paying $20 for shipping, $20 to get it set up and $50 for a case then that uke is actually costing me $340. You'd have to account for the additional expense because you are missing out on the "opportunity cost" of that money. In this case, you'd be spending an additional $90 for uke related expenses that you could have spent on other things but now you can't because you spent those dollars for the uke related things.

In your Fluke scenario, it would make more sense just to pay the cost of shipping. Consider what you make in an hour at work and call that dollar amount what your time is worth and multiply that by your driving time. Then consider what you'd be missing out on when you think what else you could have done with that time. Then consider cost of gas, wear and tear on the car and money that might be spent on that trip that you wouldn't have spent if you hadn't taken the trip. If you'd want to break it down that way, then it would make more sense just to have it shipped. But then again, maybe the trip would be a lot of fun for you and you could chalk up the expenses as entertainment/leisure you might have otherwise spent for entertainment/leisure elsewhere.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 03-11-2018 at 01:48 AM.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

I don't think about any of this. I think about the all the joy ukulele brings me............priceless. This is the cheapest mental healing and spirtual therapy anyone could undertake. To feel this good and not wake up hungover is worth whatever the cost
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I don't think about any of this. I think about the all the joy ukulele brings me............priceless. This is the cheapest mental healing and spirtual therapy anyone could undertake. To feel this good and not wake up hungover is worth whatever the cost
    This ^.

Dave is very wise.

For me, life is too short to split hairs and get bogged down with things that slow our momentum towards happiness.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I donít know how to respond to this theory consider what I just did yesterday .
    I guess you are right.
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    This ^.

Dave is very wise.

For me, life is too short to split hairs and get bogged down with things that slow our momentum towards happiness.
    Booli your last line is brilliant........momentum towards happienss. Gonna get a t-shirt that says "On a Trajectory Towards Happiness"

With most things I buy/sell online I will include/leave off tax and shipping as needed when I discuss the costs with my wife . It's just easier that way.

Otherwise I don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    I don’t know how to respond to this theory consider what I just did yesterday .
    I guess you are right.
    You make it sound like you got really drunk

But I know that is not the case

Interesting thoughts, but when I buy a uke, it is worth what I pay, to me.

On occasion when I tally up how much I've spent on them, just to compare to how much other people spend on their hobby, I just take a rough costing of the uke price itself.

What I have spent on them could have been spent elsewhere, I gave up smoking & drinking a long time ago now, & I don't have holidays, so just imagine how much other people spend on those, & then compare that to what you have spent on your ukes.

I'm also spending on harmonicas, but it is money that would have gone elsewhere, if I hadn't given up those habits.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Interesting thoughts, but when I buy a uke, it is worth what I pay, to me.

On occasion when I tally up how much I've spent on them, just to compare to how much other people spend on their hobby, I just take a rough costing of the uke price itself.

What I have spent on them could have been spent elsewhere, I gave up smoking & drinking a long time ago now, & I don't have holidays, so just imagine how much other people spend on those, & then compare that to what you have spent on your ukes.

I'm also spending on harmonicas, but it is money that would have gone elsewhere, if I hadn't given up those habits.
    Right! I'm amazed at what people spend on drinks, cigarettes, and coffee. All that money goes into my ukuleles.

Thread Information