Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Uke

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    ...momentum towards happiness.
    Different strokes for different folks.

I've always kept meticulous records for cars and anything else that I could. I can look back and see what mileage my 1962 MG or 1965 Ford was getting. Yes, that makes me happy.

I made up a table in a word processor with date, cost, seller, etc., for my ukes. I don't look on it as a chore.

A while back, I started keeping an expansive spreadsheet, with detailed specs of all the uke models I had tried along the way. My wife saw it, and commented that I must have OCD. I told her "no honey, I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are all ordered alphabetically, as they should be."
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-11-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    ...I made up a table in a word processor with date, cost, seller, etc., for my ukes. I don't look on it as a chore.
    You'd be better served to use a spreadsheet like Excel or one of the many others...

Not only do you get nice tables to line up your numbers in columns and rows, but you can use simple formulas to add tax, shipping, etc, as well as total each column or row, and it all updates automatically as per the formula you put in when you add items later.

Formulas are not hard, i.e. you have a row that has price paid, tax, shipping, in the 1st 3 columns...

and the forumula would look like

=SUM(1-3)

in the 4th column of that row....to give you the total

Lots of tutirials on YT for more help.

I do not use ANY Microsoft products and instead use LibreOffice, which is perfectly fine for my needs and it runs on Mac/Linux/Windows so I am not tied forever to any operating system or a bad software company.
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    You'd be better served to use a spreadsheet like Excel or one of the many others...

Not only do you get nice tables to line up your numbers in columns and rows, but you can use simple formulas to add tax, shipping, etc, as well as total each column or row, and it all updates automatically as per the formula you put in when you add items later.

Formulas are not hard, i.e. you have a row that has price paid, tax, shipping, in the 1st 3 columns...

and the forumula would look like

=SUM(1-3)

in the 4th column of that row....to give you the total

Lots of tutirials on YT for more help.

I do not use ANY Microsoft products and instead use LibreOffice, which is perfectly fine for my needs and it runs on Mac/Linux/Windows so I am not tied forever to any operating system or a bad software company.
    Good idea. I've used spreadsheets before. Remember Lotus 1-2-3?

I have been agonizing over additional cost such as shipping, taxes, or a nicer case. But once a uke arrives, I am so happy with it that it simply doesn't matter if it cost a few bucks more or less. It was worth it to me, and that's that.

I tried to tally up but then looking at the numbers makes me sweat and feel guilty. As long as I am happy with the uke, it is worth the price, even if it means I have to put up extra to set it up right, change strings or to fix it. When I am selling the uke, the initial up front total cost means very little, the buyer will only pay what he/she thinks it's worth, and the market price at that time. Buyers don't care how much I paid for shipping initially, they all want free shipping to them, INSURED.
    So I just relaxe and enjoy.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    A while back, I started keeping a detailed spreadsheet, with detailed specs of all the uke models I had tried along the way. My wife saw it, and commented that I must have OCD. I told her "no honey, I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are all ordered alphabetically, as they should be."
    Lol! When I use this line, I'm going to pretend I just thought of it.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Timms 1K soprano
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano
    Flight Travel soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Good idea. I've used spreadsheets before. Remember Lotus 1-2-3?
    Yep. Seems like ages ago, and it was. I am a dinosaur in computer years Ha ha!

Harvard Graphics, WordPerfect, ccMail, VisiCalc, MultiMate, Autodesk Animator...and so many others...

Luckily for dosbox I can still play Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Jazz Jackrabbit and Lemmings ...even in 2018

sorry for the digression
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

how many ukes do you all have that you need SPREADSHEETS to keep track of the prices

Quote Originally Posted by Iulia View Post
    how many ukes do you all have that you need SPREADSHEETS to keep track of the prices
    Let me check my spreadsheet .

Actually, I don't put prices on there...I don't want to know.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-11-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Thread Information