Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Uke

Quote Originally Posted by Iulia View Post
    how many ukes do you all have that you need SPREADSHEETS to keep track of the prices
    "I politely decline to answer on account that I may incriminate myself."
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

The only time I think about price is when I'm getting ready to buy a uke. I include shipping costs as part of it. I bought a Lanikai Thinline Bocote recently, saw it from two stores online, calculated all the costs and chose the store with lower shipping and a first time buyer discount. Instead of paying $399.95, I paid $359.95.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Last edited by kohanmike; 04-08-2018 at 07:31 AM.

I saw this thread earlier today and a few thoughts crossed my mind.

1) Going to a factory/shop where a ukulele is made changes the value of the instrument...it becomes a memory and an experience beyond the instrument itself. This makes it more valuable for us (individually)...but if you ever sell it people really wont care.

2) Regarding buying an instrument, you can always ask for a discount or a lower price. That goes with new items, too. This isnt going to work in some places (e.g. the Apple Store), but other vendors may throw in something else, or offer a different model (or a scratch and dent) at a significant savings. Sellers may react negatively to a lower price, may say no, or may offer a counter offer...but then you dont have to buy it, either. Sellers are usually at a disadvantage. When online, I also look for existing discount codes and try to use them whenever possible. I could have used a Strings By Mail discount yesterday...and I know a nw code will be coming with the shipment when it arrives.

As a buyer, what I do depends on where I am at financially, and what my perceived value of an item is. Ultimately, I dont want to have to pay more for something than I have to...and Im sure you all feel the same way. Im not going to be political, but a few of my close friends have been very loud and upset about coming tax changes that will benefit them financially...but none of them are going to send a check back to the government to say, I really dont want this money.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Yep. Seems like ages ago, and it was. I am a dinosaur in computer years Ha ha!

Harvard Graphics, WordPerfect, ccMail, VisiCalc, MultiMate, Autodesk Animator...and so many others...

Luckily for dosbox I can still play Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Jazz Jackrabbit and Lemmings ...even in 2018

sorry for the digression
    I've been using WordPerfect for decades - best word processor going.

how many ukes do you all have that you need SPREADSHEETS to keep track of the prices
    Right now, I have 33 in the house, three on the way, and two on the horizon. Ridiculous? Yeah, just a bit, but I can't resist.

I like to say I play my ukes just about every day - when the new one arrives. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I saw this thread earlier today and a few thoughts crossed my mind.

1) Going to a factory/shop where a ukulele is made changes the value of the instrument...it becomes a memory and an experience beyond the instrument itself. This makes it more valuable for us (individually)...but if you ever sell it people really won’t care.

2) Regarding buying an instrument, you can always ask for a discount or a lower price. That goes with “new” items, too. This isn’t going to work in some places (e.g. the Apple Store), but other vendors may throw in something else, or offer a different model (or a scratch and dent) at a significant savings. Sellers may react negatively to a lower price, may say “no,” or may offer a counter offer...but then you don’t have to buy it, either. Sellers are usually at a disadvantage. When online, I also look for existing discount codes and try to use them whenever possible. I could have used a Strings By Mail discount yesterday...and I know a nw code will be coming with the shipment when it arrives.

As a buyer, what I do depends on where I am at financially, and what my perceived value of an item is. Ultimately, I don’t want to have to pay more for something than I have to...and I’m sure you all feel the same way. I’m not going to be political, but a few of my close friends have been very loud and upset about coming tax changes that will benefit them financially...but none of them are going to send a check back to the government to say, “I really don’t want this money.”
    1. Definitely! That's why I might pick up my Fluke in person when it's finished. I like to have memories with acquisitions.

2. Again, definitely! Music dealers want to move product. I usually phone them about a purchase, and I often get a discount. A ukulele sitting on a shelf isn't making them any money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Right now, I have 33 in the house, three on the way, and two on the horizon. Ridiculous? Yeah, just a bit, but I can't resist.

I like to say I play my ukes just about every day - when the new one arrives. : )
    This thread is drawing out all the addicts ha ha ha
    I feel at home here
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Haha...why would I want to track how much $$$'s I lose on UAS...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    Haha...why would I want to track how much $$$'s I lose on UAS...
    Sympathy?

Probably when you can't remember where you put them all..........
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information