Baton Rouge V2-T8 Sun

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Someone in our group brought her new Baton Rouge V2-T8 Sun tenor ukulele yesterday, and we were impressed. We all thought it would be rather expensive, with the eight strings and slotted head. Wrong! It's just $133, plus $37 shipping from Germany. It got a very good review from Barry.

It has a wonderful sound, and those eight gold tuners in the slotted head are beautiful. I ordered one when I got home. Hers took about two weeks to arrive.

I also learned about the T2V8 Sun from Got a Ukulele. I don’t really care about the sun engraving, but the instrument itself etched itself into my brain. Someone on Barry’s “I Got a Ukulele” Facebook group mentioned the T2V8 and I posted that I would be interested in one, but there are no US dealers. Mark Pugh, the owner of Stones Music, the UK distributor for Baton Rouge, reached out to me and let me know that he could ship one when they came in (at the time, the model was switching walnut for rosewood), and I placed an order. It was a top notch experience.

My instrument cost more than the aforementioned $170. With shipping, exchange rate, setup (not charged0and extras (Mark has his own brand of strings, Jumping Cow fluorocarbons...for all 8 strings—no wound...2 strap buttons...and a leather strap), the cost worked out to be £197.16, which is currently $273. I’m okay with it, knowing the work Mark does...and the exchange rate was better in August when I bought it (about $255).

It’s a wonderful instrument—even as a “laminate” (gasp)—and part of the enjoyment is the set-up that Mark does. Another local person in our group played mine and ordered one, too.

When you have an 8-string that is set up properly, it is no more difficult to play than a four string. So when I see the threads discussing bad experiences with 8-strings, I am 100% certain that it has to do with setup.

I also learned about the T2V8 Sun from Got a Ukulele. I don’t really care about the sun engraving, but the instrument itself etched itself into my brain. Someone on Barry’s “I Got a Ukulele” Facebook group mentioned the T2V8 and I posted that I would be interested in one, but there are no US dealers. Mark Pugh, the owner of Stones Music, the UK distributor for Baton Rouge, reached out to me and let me know that he could ship one when they came in (at the time, the model was switching walnut for rosewood), and I placed an order. It was a top notch experience.

My instrument cost more than the aforementioned $170. With shipping, exchange rate, setup (not charged0and extras (Mark has his own brand of strings, Jumping Cow fluorocarbons...for all 8 strings—no wound...2 strap buttons...and a leather strap), the cost worked out to be £197.16, which is currently $273. I’m okay with it, knowing the work Mark does...and the exchange rate was better in August when I bought it (about $255).

It’s a wonderful instrument—even as a “laminate” (gasp)—and part of the enjoyment is the set-up that Mark does. Another local person in our group played mine and ordered one, too.

When you have an 8-string that is set up properly, it is no more difficult to play than a four string. So when I see the threads discussing bad experiences with 8-strings, I am 100% certain that it has to do with setup.

It sounds like you got a good deal. That T8 was passed around to everyone yesterday, so we all got a chance to play it. Another member of our group is also ordering one.

Someone brought one to our group last night. Could I ask where you've ordered from? I don't see an online order form on the Baton Rouge Website. Thanks!

I have one they are excellent for the money and my guitarist friends have been complimentary about the tone. Imgot mine just before a price rise from a local music shop and it cost me £120 which is incredible value. It's my play out instrument these days as the 8 strings produce a richer sound.

It also shows gives lie to the "solid top good, laminate bad" you so often hear. The laminate is not thick so it responds well.

I also have their sun 6 string which with its hi/lo C and hi/lo A has a different tone and is just as good.

Top Bottom