Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquila Sugar compares to Flurocarbon strings (Video)

Default Aquila Sugar compares to Flurocarbon strings (Video)

I finally got a hold of a set of Aquila Sugar Strings. I planned to put in on my new Fred Shields Soprano. However, I realized I ordered a concert set instead of soprano. According to mimmo, it is OK to put the concert on soprano. Anyway, my Fred Shields Soprano has a 14 inch scale length, so concert strings might not be a bad idea.

The uke came originally with "fishing lines", according to Mr. Shields. To me, the sound and feel resemble closest to Worth light tension clear strings.

The Aquila Sugar strings are of thicker gauges. Bright, crisps and loud with long sustain. To my ears, volume is at least 20% louder than FC strings. The sugar gave me a "flurocarbon strings on steroid" feel. It did squeak quite a bit on dry fingers. I put on hand lotion and the squeaks went away. I also felt higher tension on my fingers with the sugar.

I am usually a FC strings guy but I like the sugar strings. In fact I like it a lot. I will order a few more sets and try them on my other Ukes.

This one is the original FC strings.

This one is the Aquila Sugar.
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Thank you Joseph for the comparison.
    The Sugar sounds much louder.
    Fred Shields said Martin is best suited for his uke. His 'fishing lines' are base on Martin strings.
    I must give this Sugar a try. High tension is good, you can control the volume better when plunking.
    Your new 'OVAL' looks very comfortable to play especially the notes near the body. Castle in the Sky, uh??
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post

The Aquila Sugar strings are of thicker gauges. Bright, crisps and loud with long sustain. To my ears, volume is at least 20% louder than FC strings. The sugar gave me a "flurocarbon strings on steroid" feel. It did squeak quite a bit on dry fingers. I put on hand lotion and the squeaks went away. I also felt higher tension on my fingers with the sugar.

I am usually a FC strings guy but I like the sugar strings. In fact I like it a lot. I will order a few more sets and try them on my other Ukes.
    I would imagine that there might be a little less tension if you were to try soprano strings. As long as they feel comfortable, I would not worry.

The Sugar strings seem to sound a bit fuller with more body.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I would imagine that there might be a little less tension if you were to try soprano strings. As long as they feel comfortable, I would not worry.

The Sugar strings seem to sound a bit fuller with more body.
    Yes. I have ordered a Soprano set to switch out later. I have a few concerts to try out this concert string set.
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    Castle in the Sky, uh??
    Yup. Good ears Brenda.

Thank you for posting your findings Joe, it's always great to hear strings compared side by side, good stuff mate Your FS uke looks like a beauty, I particularly like the headstock
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Camsuke View Post
    Thank you for posting your findings Joe, it's always great to hear strings compared side by side, good stuff mate Your FS uke looks like a beauty, I particularly like the headstock

Thank you Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    Castle in the Sky, uh??
    I was just admiring that instrumental arrangement of "Kimi wo Nosete" as well. I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I was just admiring that instrumental arrangement of "Kimi wo Nosete" as well. I really like it.
    Thank you. This is one of the first songs I learned when I started playing ukulele 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    Thank you. This is one of the first songs I learned when I started playing ukulele 2 years ago.
    Actually, watching your video has inspired me to try to figure out an instrumental version by ear. I've made it to the end of the first verse and I'm about to attempt the bridge. I'm really enjoying the challenge. Thank you.

Thread Information