Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longtime Lurker Arriving

Default Longtime Lurker Arriving

Hey all,

I'm Dave and I've been lurking here for about a year. That ukulele bug I thought was transitory seems like it's gonna stick with me. So I figured I'd say "what up."

I like to sing and wanted to pick up the guitar so I could accompany myself, but I have three small children (1,3,5yo) and a small house (900ft2) so space is at a premium. Not only for instrument storage, but also space to actually sit.

And my kids are ALL OVER anything new..."daddy, I want to play THAT." So I never got to play the guitar we had.

My kids are music FIENDS (check my wife's instagram @mommommadden if you want to see what I mean) and they were given some beater ukes (the SunnyLife ones that can't hold a tune even if you bribe them).

So I figured if I got a little uke, we could play together.

So my wife and I got a Kala SMHC to start with. And I loved it.
    I played it for like 4 or 5 months before I wanted something better/more resonant.

Then someone listed a Pono MTSH(C)-PC Cutaway on the Marketplace. It tooks me a little to convince the wife, but I bought it around Christmas. And it's been amazing! I absolutely love it. It's the first instrument I've ever really played, so it's really opening up a lot of things for me!

Then, this week I discovered the conversation about tuning to Bb, and what I thought was amazing has become transformative. That's when I realized the value of actually participating in this forum (vs. just lurking with my generic placeholder account).

And here I am!
    Thanks for being here and providing so much to those of us who know so little!

Welcome! Great story! Are the children wondering where their uke is?
    Kathryn

Welcome to UU Dave
    All the best,
    Campbell

YouTube Videos & Tabs
    https://www.youtube.com/user/camsuke

Welcome Dave. Having children learning to play ukuleles is a great thing, but you should definitely HIDE your Pono from them!
    Tenor: Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana Slothead Cutaway, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Waterman KA CWB
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21(Starter uke!), Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin Light Blue Burst, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

Welcome! Excellent, I wish I had discovered ukes when my kids were young...so much fun and great memories brewing there!

Tiny instruments, tiny people and tiny house= all good fun!
    Welcome Super Dave!

Haha thanks guys. The pono and the Kala are both on hooks so high my wife has a hard time getting them down! They're safe for a while at least!

Welcome aboard.

I don't have a lot of space where I live, but I managed to accumulate a fair few of these wee beasties.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Welcome to the forums!!

welcome aboard!
    Used to love watching Super Dave Osborne as a kid

Thread Information